What category would you enter a Coffee Stout in the NHC?

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

What category would you enter a Coffee Stout in the NHC?

Post by Shaft42 »

As you guys know, this was my first all grain and it turned out great. So, I thought I would enter it in the NHC. What category would you enter a Coffee Stout? I was thinking experimental/specialty, maybe dry stout. Here is the recipe:

11 # American 2-row
2 # Flaked Barley
1 # Roasted Barley
.5 # Chocolate Malt
1 oz Centennial Hops (60 Min)
White Labs Irish Ale P004 1000ml Starter
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Need Some More Info..But Until Then.....

Post by BillyBock »

Could you tell us your original and final gravities? That'll help us figure it out a little better.

However, if I punch in your recipe....at 5 gallons, 70% extraction, and 75% attenuation, I calculate your OG = 77 and your FG = 18 and your IBU = 41. By the numbers this is a Foreign Extra Stout (BJCP category #16D). On the AHA it could be either a Foreign Style Stout (11B) or an Imperial Stout (11E)--it straddles the borderline on gravity and bitterness.

v/r
Bill
Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

My efficiency wasn

Post by Shaft42 »

Like I said this was my first all grain, so my efficiency wasn
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

FES

Post by BillyBock »

It has too much body to be a dry stout. So it still looks like it's a Foreign Extra Stout (BJCP), or Foreign Style Stout (AHA) to me. Of course you could always try the experimental category. Or, they may have a category for first time entrants.

Good luck on it.

v/r
Bill