Honey Wheat

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Honey Wheat

Post by Liquid Blur »

Hey guys,
I have a honey wheat in the secondary and had a question. When I gave the beer a taste there was a bit of a tart flavor to it. My question is if anyone knows if that is a characteristic of a beer with honey it it. I am really good with sanatizing so I don't think that it is infected. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks,
LB
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Wheat? Yeast?

Post by BillyBock »

Hey LB:
Every wheat beer I've drank had a slight tartness to it, actually refreshing. It could be the wheat or the yeast. How much wheat was part of your recipe vs. barley. What yeast did you use? There may be other factors, but those are the two that jump out. If you could post the recipe and procedures that may help.

v/r
Bill
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What Kind of Honey

Post by fitz »

What kind of honey did you use?
Blackberry, or rasberry honey have a tartness to it. It is good for mead, but in beer, I would use clover honey. It is lightly flavored, has a residual sweetness, and doesn't have the tartness of the berry honeys. In a dark or a porter, I may trie something a little robust, but a wheat beer should be accented with a light honey.
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Clover Honey

Post by Liquid Blur »

Yes, Fitz it was a clover honey. Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to know it it were a characteristic of a beer that had honey in it and Billy answered my question. Thanks again.
LB