Hop Utilization in Beer Tools v2

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Hop Utilization in Beer Tools v2

Post by beerphoto »

Hey Guys - still love this program and getting used to the new interface. I use Beer Tools Pro in a commercial brewery and just now noticed my custom hop utilization isn't coming over with my existing recipes.

Also - unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't see a way to load my custom hop utilization.

Brian Confer
Stormcloud Brewing Company
Frankfort, Michigan
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hop Utilization in Beer Tools v2

Post by jeff »

Can you send me one of the recipe files that contains your custom %u? You will have to grab the file directly from the HD rather than open and do a "save as…" in BTP 2.0 since your settings will be lost if they are not loaded correctly.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Fixed in version 2.0.5.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
spire

Post by spire »

Hi Jeff,

I'm running the trial of 2.0.8 and still don't see the "Load" button for custom Hops utilization profiles where it was in 1.5.
__Utilization_and_Black_Pearl_Black_IPA.png
__Utilization_and_Black_Pearl_Black_IPA.png (36.31 KiB) Viewed 21158 times
cheers,
-Michael
Cooksons

Post by Cooksons »

Hi guys,

I'm just now updating from v1.5 to v2.0.23, and I have the same question. How do I load my custom hop utilization profile from v1.5 in v2.0?

Thanks!

Scott
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Do you have it saved in any recipes?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Cooksons

Post by Cooksons »

Hi Jeff,

That's a great question, and I sadly don't know the answer. I am picking up brewing again after taking a long hiatus (kids, etc.) since 2010, and I have forgotten much about how BeerTools works.

I see that I have a BeerTools Pro/Hop Utilization Formulas/Most Accurate Utilization Formulas.btd file that I must have created/used in v1.5, but I don't know if/how it's being used in any recipes. Can you please explain how to figure this out?

Thanks,

Scott
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

The hop utilization configuration is saved with each recipe file. Any recipes for which you used that configuration should contain your settings. The only way to know is to open a recipe and edit the utilization algorithm. If it looks like the correct algorithm, you can save it in a template. the template can then be applied to other recipes. Or, you can include it in your default template that gets loaded with every new recipe. The default template is created using "Make Default" under the "File" menu.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Cooksons

Post by Cooksons »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. It seems like I was mistaken in thinking that the file that I mentioned was a special hop utilization file that could be saved/loaded (like water chemistry files). After reading your explanation, it seems like it's simply a recipe file where I had set the utilization algorithms as desired at the time to use as a template for future recipes.

Thanks again,

Scott
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I think in past versions some of the editor windows had their own save and load buttons, so that might be what you used. Since hop utilization data is saved along with recipe data I am hoping you can locate your settings in a recipe. This is simpler than recovering the hop utilization algorithm from a dedicated file, but that's possible too.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff