Aeration in Fermetor

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

theashman661

Aeration in Fermetor

Post by theashman661 »

What would be some of the signs that NOT enough aeration was introduced into the wort prior to pitching the yeast?

-Fermentation stop within a few days?

I aerated my wort by dumping from a foot over my bucket through a strainer. Do you think this is enough aeration to get the job done??

Ashton
slothrob

Re: Aeration in Fermetor

Post by slothrob »

Yes, poor attenuation and the off flavors associated with stressed yeast, weak fermentation and underpitching might be the result of insufficient aeration. Shaking vigorously for a few minutes is sufficient for aerating low gravity beers up to, perhaps, around 1.050-1.060. It may become limiting at higher gravities. I would imagine your technique comes close to aerating as well as shaking, but I'd consider shaking the carboy a bit anyway, just for insurance.

There are other factors, though. With a proper size starter or a fresh pack of rehydrated dry yeast, the demand for oxygen won't be as great. If you are pitching a less than fresh vial or smack pack of yeast, without a starter, then the demand for oxygen will be greater.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP