BT2

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
roadie2
Light Lager
Light Lager

BT2

Post by roadie2 »

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to BT2, there is 1 thing that I have initially noticed, the style does not load when opening old recipes in the spot beside the recipe name, it does load in the 'style ' tab at the bottom of the screen however.

This next thing was in BT1 also, I would like to suggest that when you are viewing an old recipe, and you click 'open template' there is a bloody warning that you are about to wipe the recipe being viewed. Surely the default for open template should be to create a new recipe first. Once the template is opened, if viewing an old recipe, you must quit beertools without saving and re-start the software......I have lost 2 recipes so far.

Now this will turn into a rant as I am very disappointed with spending my money on what I thought was a major upgrade...BT 1 to BT 2, I have not found anything significant new in this, basically the layout has just changed, it is a minor upgrade. Maybe I am missing something......

The main reason I paid for the new version (as I was very happy with the old one) was the online companion 'app' which you need to create a copy of a recipe to be viewed online, correct me if im wrong but if you make a change on your PC then you need to upload a new copy to the 'online' folder.....why not just an option in the recipe to 'share' and the software uploads it, if you make a change it automatically keeps it up to date online

secondly the app doesn't even provide all the information to make a recipe......for example timing of hop additions is not provided!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a more positive note, I would like to see:

1 be able to add brew day, fermentation and tasting notes to recipes via the 'companion app' that will then be viewable on my office PC (or directly to pc, viewable on app). I don't brew, ferment, or drink (much) in my office..........and take paper notes during these processes. I would like this to include the refractometer conversion calculator so you can simply add the daily reading and say some sort of graph shows progress to estimated attenuation
2 be able to print the 'summary' tab..........we can select all the others.......why not this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 be able to print the water chemistry graph, not just quantities
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BT2

Post by jeff »

roadie2 wrote:The main reason I paid for the new version (as I was very happy with the old one) was the online companion 'app' which you need to create a copy of a recipe to be viewed online, correct me if im wrong but if you make a change on your PC then you need to upload a new copy to the 'online' folder.....why not just an option in the recipe to 'share' and the software uploads it, if you make a change it automatically keeps it up to date online
BeerTools Pro 2.0 does this. When you open an online recipe (one stored in the “Online” folder or subfolder) by double-clicking it, edit it, and save it (save button or “Save” menu command) the online recipe is updated. The recipes stored online are completely separate files from those store locally.
roadie2 wrote:secondly the app doesn't even provide all the information to make a recipe......for example timing of hop additions is not provided!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it is, if the screen width allows. On the iPhone, for example, turning the device to landscape mode allows the hop boil times to display.

If you were happier with the old version of BeerTools Pro I would be happy to refund your purchase and revert your download. Just say the word.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
roadie2
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by roadie2 »

thank you for the prompt reply, the landscape thing does work and show the hop timing.

I do like the online feature, but having 2 copies in the recipes folder yanks my chain and opens the chance of making a mistake.

just to confirm I do like your software, I don't want a refund, but thanks for the offer
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

roadie2 wrote:I do like the online feature, but having 2 copies in the recipes folder yanks my chain and opens the chance of making a mistake.
I thought about making BTP delete the local copy of a recipe when it’s moved to the online folder. However, that increases the chance of data loss if anything goes wrong, so I erred on the side of caution instead.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff