Beginning brewer and clarity issues

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

rfm

Beginning brewer and clarity issues

Post by rfm »

Hi,

Just began learning how to make beer, pretty much been using the kits from a local store which have all the ingredients and instructions.

So far I began with an Imperial Nut Brown Ale, then an English Bitter and lately a Rye IPA.

Is it normal to have some sediment in the bottles? Am I doing something wrong as to siphoning?

I typically ferment in the primary for at least 2 weeks and no more bubbling can be seen, then into second fermenter and will leave as long as another week or two.

Each bottle seems to have some "stuff" in the bottom of the bottle. The rye I know I had issues when the bag broke.

I take quite a bit of care in sanitizing and being clean, but some of the rye really looks nasty from things floating. It seems to taste OK..

are these beers that should be a bit cloudy or no and what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
slothrob

clear beer in bottles

Post by slothrob »

You will always have sediment in the bottles from the yeast that carbonates the beer. You will need to learn to allow the beer some time undisturbed in the bottles for the yeast to settle out, then carefully pour the beer in one smooth motion, stopping before the yeast starts to flow out with the beer. You'll end up sacrificing a few ounces from each bottle. Some yeasts, particularly English Ale yeasts form a tighter sediment that is easier to leave behind.

The yeast is probably what you are seeing if the cloudiness is chunky. Haze that doesn't look particulate is usually due to proteins or tannins that may require controlling the chemistry and pH of your water. It can also be due to starch.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
rfm

Post by rfm »

Thank you

Was kind of hoping it was that.