How to get started with My setup.

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
johnb

How to get started with My setup.

Post by johnb »

I'm building a rig to brew 10 gallons finished. How would one go about finding a recipe, scaling it up (as most I've looked at so far are in the 5 gallon range) then download it to Beer Tools on my computer. The Recipe Generator is useless to morons like me who don't know where to start. Kind of like buying a cook book which asks you to enter everything you have in your Frig and pantry only to tell you your chosen meal will be the wrong color!
slothrob

finding and scaling recipes

Post by slothrob »

It is difficult to evaluate a recipe without making a trial batch or having made enough different recipes that you have a feel for what works for you. Eventually, you'll probably have a small set of "rules" that you follow in designing and evaluating recipes.

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels has ingredient guideline for each beer style based on award winning beers. That book can be very helpful for evaluating recipes.

In the end, you really need to make the beer to know if you like it. I make a lot of small batches in order to decide if I like a recipe and to refine recipes by trial and error.

However, if there are recipes that look like they might appeal to you, you can always post them and people can comment on what they think. You'll probably get opposing opinions, though, in many cases.

Also, there are a lot of recipes out there that a lot of people have made and fall into the "tried and true" category. Denny Conn, Mike "Tasty" McDole and Jamil Zainacheff all have public recipes that are both popular and award winners. The recipes from the Can You Brew It radio show are essentially duplications of commercial recipes from the brewers themselves. A lot of these recipes are posted on BeerTools.

Recipes can be downloaded from BeerTools to BeerToolsPro by clicking the button "Add to Favorites/BeerToolsPro". Then you can download these recipes by opening BeerToolsPro, going to menubar>Online>My Recipes...

Recipes can be scaled through the "Scale Recipe" button on the recipe's page on the BeerTools website, or through the Scale function within BeerToolsPro.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP