First Time Brewer - Help with yeast question

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Billbo5150

First Time Brewer - Help with yeast question

Post by Billbo5150 »

I started my very first batch yesterday. I was thoroughly clean and followed everything by the book. Even had a friend who's been brewing for several years help me along. I am making an amber light ale (I know, boring, but I want my wife to like it so she's behind me on this venture). Anyway, everything went great until I added the yeast.

I was expecting a miniature science experiment with the cap and tube (which my friend told me to expect), but so far nothing has happened. I added the yeast (a dry ale yeast) over 15 hours ago and the only thing that has happened is there is there is some small bubbles on top of the wort, but I think that is the yeast. I added the yeast when the temperature was 75 degrees in the carboy.

Am I just being impatient or is there something I can do? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
-Bill the (hopefully) Brewer
slothrob

yeast

Post by slothrob »

You're probably just being impatient. You can often get visible yeast action within 12 hours or so, but it can take a day or two. Those small bubbles are probably signs of the yeast kicking into gear.

In the interest of making the best beer, I'd suggest pitching most ale yeast in the 64-68°F range. 75°F is a bit too warm and most yeasts will produce off-flavors at that temperature.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wait for it...

Post by brewmeisterintng »

By now you should see something going on. That is one of the reasons I love glass carboys. The show that the yeast provides always fascinates me. I also look for early signs of life. I too am guilty of pitching too warm. I am just impatient.... this is a great hobby and you too will develop your style/ methods of brewing. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Billbo5150

It's a Christmas miracle!

Post by Billbo5150 »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice.
Lots of bubbles now on top and air being released...exciting! I am thrilled to be doing this.
-Bill the (hopefully) Brewer