Which burner would you recommend?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewfeller
Light Lager
Light Lager

Which burner would you recommend?

Post by brewfeller »

Hey guys,
I am building my first all grain homebrew system and decided on trying a HERMS system here it is...
http://www.vimeo.com/15907452
I currently have they cheapo turkey fryer burners on it and was pretty disappointed with the heating time on those... I just bought the 0-30 psi Bayou Classic style regulator to put on those to see if it will help before moving on to looking at a Banjo or 10 tip propane jet burner.
I am fairly familiar with the pros and cons of each of these style burners by reading the threads on several forums. But on my HERMS system I want a burner on my HLT/ heat exchanger that can get my strike water up to temp quickly but that I can also have fine flame control to maintain that temp or slowly raise temp of the heat exchanger if step mashing.
Which burner fits these requirements?
Some have claimed success in flame control using the regulator I mentioned on the 23 tip Jet burner.
The 23 tip jet burner is probably overkill.
In most of the videos that I have seen the Jet burners are incredibly loud.
for that reason alone I may consider the banjo. It's just kind of confusing and I want to make sure I get the right burner with the right kind of control for my HLT/ Heat Exchanger.

Obviously the burner on the brew kettle only has to raise the temp of the wort from around 160 to 212 so it doesn't have to be a monster burner right?
Thanks in advance for your input![/url]
conman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Wok Burner!

Post by conman »

I know that this is such a debatable topic, but I get 2 to 3 times as many brews from my propane tank using this burner Ebay item number 350270879384 than I ever did using the standard turkey fryer burners, that even with the expense ($120.00), it has more than paid for itself.
it offers very precise control and can also boil 35 gallons of water from ambient in about 40 minutes.
its at least worth checking out, I promise!!!
Homebrewing since 1998!
brewfeller
Light Lager
Light Lager

Wok Burner

Post by brewfeller »

can you show me some pics of how you have this thing mounted?
Man I just spent $50 on 2 0-30 psi regulators.
Just curious... why did you pick this style over the Jet Burners?
conman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by conman »

I dont have pictures, but it was real simple. on my stand, I have a center tube that goes from one end to the other, I have 3 (1 1/2" x 10") pieces of sq tubing welded onto it directly under the burners. I have 3 other pieces of sq tubing that fits into the first ones so that it can be moved up or down. (could be solid now, but I wasnt sure in the beginning how far below the kettles they should be :roll: )
these pieces have a center x (8" x 8") welded on the end which bolts to the bottom of the burner.

I also dont need wind blocking shields either because the burners kindof come with there own. hope that helps!
Homebrewing since 1998!