cinnamon beer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

cyto
Light Lager
Light Lager

cinnamon beer

Post by cyto »

I am going to make a "holiday" beer, an amber ale with cinnamon. All grain 5 gallon final volume.

How much cinnamon should I put in the boil and how long to get a taste of cinnamon , I don't want it to over power the beer.
pach907

Post by pach907 »

I brew a pumpkin ale every year. I use cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. In my pumpkin pie spice mixture I use 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp of allspice in a five gallon batch (I think this is a pretty common recipe). I have found that if I use more than about 10 grams of this spice mixture the cinnamon becomes very bold. I guess what I'm trying to say is you could probably start out with about 3 grams of cinnamon in the last one minute of the boil. Right before bottling taste it and if it needs more grind some more cinnamon and add the dry powder to the carboy and let it sit for another day or so in the carboy then bottle or keg. Hope this helps. Good luck.
cyto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by cyto »

Thanks, I brewed it yesterday and used 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon, put it in the boil with 30min left, the wort tasted pretty good so I think that is the amount I was looking for.