Mash Hops IBU contribution

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
TimmyR
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mash Hops IBU contribution

Post by TimmyR »

I am not sure what the "standard" is but I've found most recipes I use tend to treat the IBU contribution of mash hops as equal to a 20 min boil addition.

That also seems to match how some other software treats those additions. Can you explain why mash hops contribute no IBUs in your software or consider looking at allowing some IBU contribution? It would help the process of export/import of recipes.
Cheers,

Timmy
TimmyR
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by TimmyR »

Can you provide any help on this? Thanks.
Cheers,

Timmy
slothrob

Re: Mash Hops IBU contribution

Post by slothrob »

TimmyR wrote:I am not sure what the "standard" is but I've found most recipes I use tend to treat the IBU contribution of mash hops as equal to a 20 min boil addition.

That also seems to match how some other software treats those additions. Can you explain why mash hops contribute no IBUs in your software or consider looking at allowing some IBU contribution? It would help the process of export/import of recipes.
Do you mean First Wort Hops?

That technique is often described as delivering a bitterness that seems equivalent to a 20 minute boil, even though the chemical analysis would indicate that the IBUs are more equivalent to a 60+ minute boil. Perhaps this is due to a smoother bitterness, but not every brewer uses the same adjustment. This is a way to use bittering hops while preserving hop flavor and getting a mild character in the bitterness.

Mash Hops, on the other hand, give very few IBUs. The recipes that I know that use this technique are often listed as less than 10 IBUs. This is historically only used in beers that must have very little bitterness, like Berliner Weisse, but is now sometimes used as a way to squeeze a few more hops into an IPA.

The way that I use this feature in BTP is to select FWH (or Mash Hops, as the case may be), then select a time that represents my expected hop utilization. 20' for FWH, for example. It would be a nice feature to be able to set this utilization behind the scenes, so that the recipe doesn't say that you added the hops at 20 minutes, but I suppose the effect is the same.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
matte75
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by matte75 »

I would like to have this too, even though some think this hop addition is just a way to have i nice smell in the brewhouse! In Promash you are allowed to decide the procentage of the mash hop, for example that the isomerization is 30% of a regular hop addition, i think this could be a good way to go.

For now i use it as slothrob does, but it woud be great to have the mash hopping as a post in the printout and the brewing record.

thanks
//Mattias, Sweden
matte75
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Mash Hops IBU contribution

Post by matte75 »

Bumping this thread...

Please, a mash hop stage!! i really use this myth..

/Mattias