Wyeast Strain 1084 / irish ale / fermentation temp????

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Wyeast Strain 1084 / irish ale / fermentation temp????

Post by river water brewing »

I am about to brew a batch of extract / specialty grain beer, I am using the 1084 / irish ale activator to brew a irish red ale with an OG of 1.049. I am trying to decide where I will place the carboy for primary and secondary fermentation. The inside of my home has a temp range of 70-76 and my garage has a range of 58-62. The notes for this yeast indicate that beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce dry and crisp beers and this is my goal, but if the temp were to drop to 58 or even 56 degrees would this stall the yeast in this strain?

I am thinking about starting the fermentation in the house at the 70-74 degree range then moving the carboy to the garage after 24 hours or so, and doing the secondary fermentation there as well. Do you think this is safe?
slothrob

Irish Ale Yeast

Post by slothrob »

I use this yeast on the cool side, at 60-62°F. The one problem is that it can drop out pretty quickly if it gets too cold. If it drops out too early it can leave the beer unfinished and leave diacetyl, which is an unpleasant flavor. I haven't tested it at 56-58°F, but I'd be afraid that's too low.

On the other hand, I think over 70°F will be too warm and throw too many esters.

I think the solution is actually the opposite of what you proposed. Start the beer in the cooler spot, where the heat of active fermentation will keep the beer warmer than the surroundings. The coolness will help keep the esters down during the growth phase, when most are made. Then, after a few days, when the bubbling starts to noticeably slow down, I'd move it to the warmer spot to finish up.

If you can put the fermentor in a bucket of water, it may help to keep it a couple degrees cooler after you move it indoors. Perhaps more if you drape a wet towel or t-shirt across the fermentor.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by river water brewing »

thanks so much!!! great ideas!! i am new so any help is great!!! Thanks!!
JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!