What happens to a beer when it is left uncapped?

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

I was just wondering if it loses alcohol content or just carbonation.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: What happens to a beer when it is left uncapped?

Post by billvelek »

yaturaz wrote:I was just wondering if it loses alcohol content or just carbonation.
Both, but not necessarily at the same rate.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It will go Flat

Post by brewmeisterintng »

First it will loose it carbonation. Alcohol will evaporate slowly however, it will also turn from beer to bad. :roll:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

Why do you ask? It has to be more than just curiosity. Come on fill me in.
"B"
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

bad beer

Post by yaturaz »

I was just wondering and thank you all for your replies. The reason for the question is I get to drinking and every once in a while I misplace a freshly opened beer and the next morning I find it full and I really hate to waste my home brew. I was telling someone about my drunken beer misplacing and they were saying that the alcohol content of the beer is greatly reduced after it has been out uncapped exposed to oxygen. I just wanted to know how bad the beer was.:p
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: bad beer

Post by billvelek »

yaturaz wrote:... every once in a while I misplace a freshly opened beer and the next morning I find it full and I really hate to waste my home brew. ...
If you would pour it into glass like you really should ... especially with bottle conditioned homebrew ... then it would be difficult to misplace, i.e., a single glass can't get lost in a forrest of empty bottles. ;-) ... and if you are misplacing glasses of beer, then you aren't being serious enough about your drinking. :-p

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: bad beer

Post by cozrulz »

yaturaz wrote:I was just wondering and thank you all for your replies. The reason for the question is I get to drinking and every once in a while I misplace a freshly opened beer and the next morning I find it full and I really hate to waste my home brew. I was telling someone about my drunken beer misplacing and they were saying that the alcohol content of the beer is greatly reduced after it has been out uncapped exposed to oxygen. I just wanted to know how bad the beer was.:p
Why don't you try it the next time this happens? It probably is still good enough and you'll get a beer in at breakfast. :lol: Of course don't try this with a BMC. :lol:

Like bill says get a glass and be serious about your drinking.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My Two Cents

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I wasn't going to chime in but I think Bill hit the nail on the head. I believe that most homebrews do it because the enjoy producing a quality product. Brewing to get hammered isn't logical. Why waste your time, there are a number of cheap products on the market that will do the job. I don't no of many home brewers who would drink from the bottle. You would miss the pleasure that the nose provides.
I think an internal look is in order here. Why do you brew?
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

I do poor my home brew into a glass, also when I drink to get screwed up I drink a few of mine and then some cheap beer to finish the night. I guess it is really bad when you can't find your freshly pored "glass". I left it on the fence outside :P
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

My Two Cents plus two more

Post by bfabre »

I don't no of many home brewers who would drink from the bottle
Strait shooting brewmeisterintng I have to second that. I use a glass to fulfill the senses.
Sight-love looking at the color
Smell-find myself dipping my nose over the glass to get a smell of the aroma all the time
Taste-drinking from a bottle tends to slow down the flavor, at least for me.
Being able to endulge your senses gives me a greater feeling of accomplishment and pride.
"B"
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

I agree with him^

Post by yaturaz »

When I give a beer away I tell them to pour it in a clear glass and tell me what you think. lol.

I wish I would have read over my last post before I submitted it :oops: *pour* I can't spell for !@#$, but that is just embarrassing.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

I agree with him

Post by bfabre »

I can't spell for !@#$, but that is just embarrassing.
The public school system failed me too.
"B"
beerthirty

Post by beerthirty »

public school didn't fail me, thats where i learned to love beer! but aside from it going flat( I always take a taste after fermentation) how long would it take to oxidize the flavor?