beer tools calculations

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

gimmeales

beer tools calculations

Post by gimmeales »

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the Analysis tool here. The starting gravity of my Old Ale (extract) was 1.086 (taken at 70 degrees) and I think it's close to done now at 1.026 (also taken at 70 degrees). The tool here added almost 10 points to OG (1.094) and only 2 to the terminal (1.028).

First, is there a reason that the temp differential makes for a higher adjustment for the OG value?

Also, the paper which came w/my hydrometer says to add only .001 to my readings if taken at 70 which is significantly different that the tool's.

Any ideas as to why this would be? It comes out to a different of nearly 1% abv which seems like a big difference to me.

Help me understand.

Cheers!
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

What exactly do you mean when you said it adds 10 points. I'm assuming you are referring to post boil gravity, you could be off by 10 points due to a lack of evaporation/concentration of your wort during the boil. By that I mean that maybe you had more of a simmer than a nice rolling boil. It could also come from the etract you used, I'm sure they are all a little different.

I'm sure you'll get some more responses on here.

Later,

Jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: beer tools calculations

Post by jeff »

gimmeales wrote:Also, the paper which came w/my hydrometer says to add only .001 to my readings if taken at 70 which is significantly different that the tool's.
Are you entering your temperature as
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gimmeales

Post by gimmeales »

[quote="jeff"]
Are you entering your temperature as
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

gimmeales wrote:btw, how do you type the 'degree' character?
On the Mac you type Option-Shift-8.

On the results page you will see two values for OG. The one you measured and the corrected. What are those two values?

What may be happening is that the measured gravity is falling below the minimum OG for your ingredients and volume. Gravity readings are very often inaccurate because the final volume has not been measured exactly. The final volume is the volume in the boil kettle after it has been cooled, plus whatever top-off volume is added to the fermenter. If the volume does not factor in trub left behind in the kettle, the Analysis tool will be incorrect.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by akueck »

In Windows I use the Alt key plus the sequence 0 1 8 6 (on the numpad in case it matters) to produce