Strike Temp

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

budvar
Light Lager
Light Lager

Strike Temp

Post by budvar »

I can't seem to figure out why under sehedule I always have to add 5 degrees to the strike temp to hit my target.

Example would be if I wanted to hit 152f the program tells me I need 164.9f
but I would need 170f degrees to hit the target.

I use an igloo and single infusion when making beer, I also have calibrated the igloo twice, and use it in my template.

I'd also like to say Beer Tools is an excellent program. I think I've tried them all and even made a few spread sheets and nothing has come close.

I can't believe how easy it is to hit a beer style the first time, all thats left is to foucus on your brewing.
slothrob

BTP? Boil Vessel?

Post by slothrob »

I assume you're asking about BeerToolsPro.

The first thing I would suspect is that for your Mash In infusion, you haven't selected a Heating Vessel in the Edit window. If you don't select a Heating Vessel, the program assumes you are using a directly fired mash tun and will undershoot your strike temerature. For my set up, the difference is about 5-7
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
budvar
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by budvar »

So what would I use for heating vessel since I heat on the stove then pour into the igloo?
slothrob

a pot

Post by slothrob »

You have two choices:

A) Create and calibrate the pot (as a new vessel) and the stove (as a new heat source) you use to heat your water. In this case BTP will tell you how long it will take to bring you water to strike temp.

B) Create a pot and a heat source and don't bother calibrate either. In this case, BTP won't predict your time to strike temp, but your strike temperatures should now be correct.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
budvar
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by budvar »

Thanks that's got it.
budvar
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by budvar »

I calibrated my heat source and heating vessel yesterday and today I'm brewing and I hit my target spot on.

Thanks again.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

That's great!

I think this default is a little confusing at first for those of us that never use directly fired mash tuns. I suppose it makes sense, though, if you think that not choosing a Heating Vessel implies that you're not using one.

Perhaps this edit window should have a check box or a radio button that requires you to select "Unheated" or "Directly Heated Mash Tun" before making it's calculations.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP