Should Isinglass Finnings be boiled???

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Should Isinglass Finnings be boiled???

Post by etbandit »

I have Isinglass finnings in liquid form.

Does it need to be boiled before adding to my secondary fermenter?

Does boiling Isinglass finnings denature it and prevent it from doing its job?
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Should Isinglass Finnings be boiled???

Post by wottaguy »

Hi!

Isinglass finings should NOT be boiled or heated up. It is considered a post fermentation fining agent that is added at a rate of 1 ounce per 6 gallons of post fermented beer in the fermentation vessel. It works best if the beer is at around 56 degF and the finings are applied at room temp. After being added (stir gently), let the beer sit the fermenter and let it slowly raise in temperature for the next 3-4 days, not to exceed 70 degF for sanitary reasons. After 3-4 days, rack and bottle or keg and condition as needed.

Hope this helps!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What are advantages to using Isinglass?

Post by billvelek »

Have never used it, but since you appear to be knowledgeable about it, what, if any, are the advantages of Isinglass over other finnings? Always eager to learn more. Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Advantages...

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Bill,

Here's a great guide about using this fining agent and others too!

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/pdf/k ... Manual.pdf

Hope this helps!

Ron (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Not boiling finnings.

Post by etbandit »

Thanks for the info wot.

The isinglass finnings i have is in liquid form. It recommends 1ml per 1Litre of beer. Should I be worried about contamination if I use it un-boiled?
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Not boiling finnings.

Post by wottaguy »

Just add the liquid form straight to the fermenter. The sanitation has already been done by the mfgr.
If using the DRY version, then you will need to sterialize the water you use by boiling and let it cool until luke warm or room temp, then add and disolve the powder then add to your fermenter. And always follow the directions on the label. Some mixes are at a different rate. The one i use is at a rate of 1 ounce per 6 gallons of beer.

Check out the fining guide on the previous post. Its pretty good!

Hope this helps!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: Advantages...

Post by billvelek »

wottaguy wrote:Hi Bill,

Hope this helps!

Ron (_)3
FANTASTIC, RON! Thanks. Using that link and the knowledge center, I also picked up some other material to read, too. Looks like a great resource.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Notes on Isinglass finings.

Post by etbandit »

wottaguy wrote:Hi Bill,

From reading the review on wort finings provided in the link above, the following on Isinglass finings should be noted:

-Collagen which is the constituent of Isinglass is a high molecular weight polypeptide of 360kDa. As a protein it will denature with heat.
-Store all isinglass blends below 20C (PREFERABLY IN THE FRIDGE).
-At 30C, denaturation of isinglass finings of 10-80% (depending on type) occurs within 1 hour.
-All isinglass types denature within seconds at 50C or above (hence, DO NOT BOIL). I suspect that all isinglass therefore comes pre-sanitized. Correct me if im wrong.
-The mechanism of isinglass action is poorly understood, but the accepted theory is that it (as a positively charged protein) binds negatively charged yeast cells to form a neutral floc which then precipitates. Dead yeast cells do not bind.
-Other finings types that interact with positively charged proteins (which would otherwise not interact with yeast) may also be used to enhance beer clarification.
-Beer clarification with isinglass or other finings should be performed at the coldest point in the beer process. Otherwise, chill haze will result if the beer is cooled post-fining, below the temperature at which finings was added. That is fine at near freezing (0-1C) if you have the equipment to, so that chill haze is minimised when the beer is stored at fridge temperatures (4-6C) for consumption.

Cheers.