Fruity aromas & Esters

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

MrDanders
Light Lager
Light Lager

Fruity aromas & Esters

Post by MrDanders »

Question for the chemists: I bottled an IPA a month ago and have been sampling since. It has an almost overpowering fruitiness when poured -- Strong esters (so I'm told.) that are not really that pleasant. I find that if I chill it all the way down to fridge temperature (~42
"Beer, beer, so amber and so clear. 'Tis not as sweet as woman's lips, but always more sincere..."
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Fruity aromas & Esters

Post by wottaguy »

Hello MrDanders,

This will be hard to answer because of lack of information about your recipe and the kind of yeast and fermentation temp that was performed. But usually the fruitiness of the beer will subside after a period of time..3 - 6 months or so, but that depends on the information that we don't currently have. I am suspecting that you may have used an english yeast such as London Ale yeast or something similar. If so, the fruitiness you have is produced as part of the flavor profile of the yeast. If this is the yeast that you used, you may want to try a different yeast next time you brew this recipe, such as an american ale yeast like white labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. Both of these yeasts when fermented at proper tempertures, will provide little to no esters or fruitiness and finish out very clean too.

Hope this helps!
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common