Invitation to join the HomeBrewers Grid Computing Team

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Invitation to join the HomeBrewers Grid Computing Team

Post by billvelek »

Just thought I'd mention that the 'HomeBrewers' Grid Computing Team that I formed on the World Community Grid about 15 months ago is now ranked in the top HALF percent of over 14,000 teams. I've been donating the spare (otherwise wasted) power on my personal computer for about 10 years or more, and have never had any problems whatsoever. It is absolutely safe and secure, and the WCG was created by and is essentially managed by IBM. It's great to know that my computer is doing cancer research during it's idle time, and it isn't costing me anything. Our HomeBrewers team has already completed the equivalent of over 68 YEARS worth of continuous computing for NON-PROFIT medical research. For more info, please check out my personal webpage about this at http://www.velek.com

Thanks for your kindness and consideration.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I agree this is a good thing to do. I've been on a the United Devises Grid for about seven years. They are also doing cancer research. Prior to that I was on the SETI grid for about three years. I figured what would we do if we actually found ET? It's not like we could invite them over for a homebrew. :lol: So I switched figuring it would be better to do something that might actually benefit mankind. Oh, and during the 10 years I've been on the grid I haven't had any security or performance issues with my computer.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks, Colorado.

Post by billvelek »

Thanks, Colorado, for endorsing grid computing. I get around on the Internet and newsgroups a LOT, plus receive a lot of email from assorted mailing lists, etc., and I have _NEVER_ heard of a single report of any problems associated with any grid computing program. Not a single report of hacking, or of viruses, or adware, or even slowed performance of the computer. Regarding the particular project that I've volunteered for -- the World Community Grid -- IBM sends a team into the research facilities for any project under consideration, and they look at every line of code in the program to ensure that it is absolutely safe before approving the program; this is mentioned on the podcast by Dr. David Foran, professor and lead researcher at the Cancer Institute of New Jersey. Heck, the WCG is endorsed by a BUNCH of reputable organizations that are mentioned on my webpage. I sure wish that more folks would be willing to let their computers do some good for the world and mankind instead of just wasting all of those unused computing cycles. I mean, the computer's are usually on and using electricity anyway, and the difference in electricity that is used is pretty nominal. I think that most folks are just ignorant and suspicious about this, which is why I try to educate them when I can.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768