Suggestion re hop ingredient browser; question re hop editor

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Suggestion re hop ingredient browser; question re hop editor

Post by billvelek »

Jeff and company, the more I explore this program the more impressed I am and the more I love it. Great job.

While exploring BTP, I discovered that the hop editor contains "Substitutes", i.e., other types of hops that would generally be a decent replacement. However, that information does not appear in the right hand window of the hop ingredient browser where it would often be much more convenient to view, such as when trying to select hops when creating a recipe. Sure, I can select a hop and then hit edit each time I want to see that info, and then close the editor after each view. However, there seems to be lots of spare room in the panel on the right hand side of the ingredient browser to add that info, and it would make it much easier to just cursor down the list without the need to repeatedly open and close the editor.

My question re the hop editor has to do with the "Storage Factor". and without info in the User's Guide, I need to ask about it here. I have noticed that there doesn't appear to be a particular pattern to the 'factor'; i.e., some have a zero if the hop storage is good, fair, or poor, and some have a one when storage is good, fair, or poor. What, exactly, does that represent? If a user were to add values, how should it be done -- what is the criteria? Also, how does BTP use that info; is it considered in calculations?

Thanks.

Bill Velek
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Suggestion re hop ingredient browser; question re hop ed

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:Jeff and company, the more I explore this program the more impressed I am and the more I love it. Great job.
Thank you, glad you are enjoying it!
billvelek wrote:However, there seems to be lots of spare room in the panel on the right hand side of the ingredient browser to add that info, and it would make it much easier to just cursor down the list without the need to repeatedly open and close the editor.
Sure, probably an easy addition.
billvelek wrote:My question re the hop editor has to do with the "Storage Factor". and without info in the User's Guide, I need to ask about it here. I have noticed that there doesn't appear to be a particular pattern to the 'factor'; i.e., some have a zero if the hop storage is good, fair, or poor, and some have a one when storage is good, fair, or poor. What, exactly, does that represent? If a user were to add values, how should it be done -- what is the criteria? Also, how does BTP use that info; is it considered in calculations?
Currently, BTP just stores that info. It is not used in the calculations, but may be used in the future. I felt it would be best to save as much data in the DB as possible so it is there when and if needed.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by starsailor »

To resurrect the long quiet topic of hop storage calculations in BTP. Has anything ever been implemented to factor in the values in the hop dialog box, specifically the "Storage" and "Storage factor" fields, to help account for how a hop variety ages and how it's been handled and store
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Looking for a reply...

Post by starsailor »

... anybody, anybody...