Bottle conditioning vs force carbing

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

Crusty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bottle conditioning vs force carbing

Post by Crusty »

I have been All Grain brewing for the last 3 years & bottled everything. About 1 year ago I purchased a kegging setup & after getting 19 or so litres into the corny, I bottled the remaining 4 litres or so. I am noticing that the same beer, same age is somewhat different. I do not like the force carbed beer as much as the bottle conditioned. The bottle conditioned seems to hold a better head, thicker head as well, more lacing & seems to have a better mouth feel. Seems to be more mellow. Anyone else had similar experiences or do I need some medication. Compared APA, Amber Ale.

Cheers
The Professor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by The Professor »

I've not experienced any difference in quality of force carbonated vs. bottle conditioned...in fact I have even bottled beer that has been force carbonated, and it has never affected the beer (even strong ones which stay in bottle for a year or more). As a result, I stopped all bottle conditioning more than 20 years ago.