Overcooked Grain Astringency Flavors In All Grain Beer

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Overcooked Grain Astringency Flavors In All Grain Beer

Post by manplant »

I overcooked some of the grains on the very bottom of the pot in an all grain mash, and a smoky, burnt flavor has remained after completion of primary.

Will extended exposure to the yeast on secondary say 3-4 weeks allow this flavor to be scrubbed off by the yeast?
Manplant
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Time will tell

Post by brewmeisterintng »

But things usually don't get better over time. Instead of extending the time with the yeast, conditioning either in the bottle or the keg would be the answer.
If the beer tastes bad before it goes in the bottle, it will taste bad when it comes out. It might not be as bad but bad none the less.
I'm not sure how you scorched the grains in the first place unless you are heating the mash tun. The bottom line is that you have learned a valuable lesson and have a plan to ensure that future brews do not have this problem.
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

James,
Yes, I was heating the mash tun to increase the temp, and ramped it a little too fast. The beer may be drinkable, but it is smokey. Not desireable for an all grain Belgian Tripel.

You are right on lessons learned. Heat the water first, and if need be, slowly heat the tun.
Manplant