BeerTools Grain Editor

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mjbrop

BeerTools Grain Editor

Post by mjbrop »

I am a new brewer to all grain brewing. I am reading all that I can regarding the science behind the process and am interested in the acronyms in the Grain Editor in Beer Tools. For example, I assume that DP is Diastatic Power, but I have not been able to figure out the others like DBFG, DBCG. Do you have some type of dictionary that describes the acronyms?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BeerTools Grain Editor

Post by jeff »

mjbrop wrote:I am a new brewer to all grain brewing. I am reading all that I can regarding the science behind the process and am interested in the acronyms in the Grain Editor in Beer Tools. For example, I assume that DP is Diastatic Power, but I have not been able to figure out the others like DBFG, DBCG. Do you have some type of dictionary that describes the acronyms?
You can see the descriptions for all the boxes in the grain editor in our BTP wiki.

An excerpt:
  • DBFG Dry Basis Fine Grind; this is a value which represents the maximum amount of yield which can be extracted, under laboratory conditions, from the grain; measured as a percentage of the weight of the grain; below 78% DBFG extract is considered substandard
    DBCG Dry Basis Coarse Grind; More closely approximates the typical crush achieved in breweries, and therefore gives a better indication than DBFG of the extract potential of the grain
    FG-CG Fine Grind Coarse Grind Difference (DBFG - DBCG) ÷ DBFG
    HWE Hot Water Extract expressed in liters-degrees per kilogram
    AICG As-Is Coarse Grind or Extract As Is; this is the extract yield including moisture content
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff