Coopers Extract Details...

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

BigNath

Coopers Extract Details...

Post by BigNath »

Hi everyone,

this is my first post on your forum and i found my way here through purchasing this Beer Tools program which i love. I found Beersmith too complex for my needs, and ProMash felt really old.

I am in Australia and have been brewing for quite some time, and have recently begun boiling and adding grains to my beers.
Here in OZ, the Coopers range of extracts are readily available, and as i am not doing AG i tend to use them as the basis of my beers. I am trying to add the range to my ingredients list.

My question is (and apologies if this has been asked before) does anyone know the measurements of the required fields in the Extract editor windows for the Coopers range? I am unsure of what most of the fields actually represent. I have found some articles on the bitterness and colours, but what about the other fields like Dry Basis, Protein, TSN, pH, Moisture, TN etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BigNath
"mmmmmm, beeeeeeerrrrrrrrr"
slothrob

Extract Editor Fields

Post by slothrob »

I found this that might be a little helpful.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Welcome, BigNath! Those fields (TN, SNR, Protein, etc) are for the analysis of a given grain. As an extract brewer I don't think they apply. The only fields you should need to fill in are the Original Gravity and Color. When you fill in the Original Gravity, BTP will calculate the Dry Basis. Hope this helps.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
BigNath

Post by BigNath »

thanks for your speedy replies guys!

I didn't know Beer Tools Pro would automatically calculate the other fields.

One question though (and i sense this may be a stupid one..) how do i go about working out what the lb/gal Original Gravity figure is. And also, when i try to put in another figure into this field, it only shows it to one decimal place. I tried to enter 1.044 and it shows in the field as 1.0 Any way i can get it to show the full "three decimal places"?

I am loving using this program, i just want to be able to accurately account for my use of these Coopers Extracts in my recipes.

Cheers

BigNath
slothrob

Extract

Post by slothrob »

You may have the units set to "p". Try right clicking on the gravity field and making sure that the units are listed as "sg", then it should allow you to enter "1.044". Or you can choose "œ" and enter "44".
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
BigNath

Post by BigNath »

slothrob, you are a champion!

i had it set at the (what looks like oe) setting, but i was trying to type in 1.044 instead of just the last two digits. Works like a charm now!
Many thanks for helping me out!
slothrob

Extract

Post by slothrob »

Cheers, mate!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP