APA hops test, gravity

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

APA hops test, gravity

Post by mule »

So after setting in the primary jugs for a week, I transferred them into secondary jugs today. I took the SG of all 4 and got some strange readings. First off, I busted my hydrometer as I was going to get the OG when pitching the yeast, so I don't have that reading.... Best estimate is 1.045
Cascade is 1.016
Fuggles is 1.010
Magnum is 1.018
Chinook is 1.020

I mixed the yeast into 2 cups warm water with a tiny bit of LME and let it set for 15 minutes. I stirred it and then put 1/2 cup of the mixture into each gallon jug before pouring the wort into them. BTW, I used fresh WL CA ale yeast. Fermentation was pretty active for 4 days and slowed to 4 bubbles a minute on all 4 as of today.

They all started fermenting after 4 hours, here is a pic of day 3.

What do you guys think is going on?
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

You probably should have waited a little longer to transfer those. I think they're still fermenting. What was your target gravity? The only thing I can think is that maybe because of your volumes being a little different in all of the carboys, it's taking more time for some of them to carbonate than others.

By the way...I love that picture. It's a crazy tangled mess of beer goodness.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

It is the famed octopi fermentation unit - ancient Chinese secret. :mrgreen:
I will toss a pic of the whole table top if I can find it, there was two more carboys to the right of that. An Anchor Steam copy and a honey wheat.

That picture was taken on Monday, so it has mellowed a bunch since then. I really didn't have a target value, I'm still too new to this.
I was concerned about leaving it in primary too long, I'm taking next week off so it will be another 10 days before I could transfer it.
The cascade in the front left is the only one that was at a different level.
If you look carefully, the Magnum just barely shows up on the right, it's actually a little darker than the rest. It was boiled using a gas burner outside, if any of them was going to act different, I thought it would be that one.
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.