Have we all died...or are we all just brewing...???

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Pulverization=Utilization

Post by shaggyt »

I was thinking along the lines of stretching the utilization of whole leaf...time will tell at this point...I'll let you know.
slothrob

pulverization

Post by slothrob »

I can't remember if we already had this discussion, but I wouldn't expect much gain from pulverization. Supposedly, the difference in utilization between pulverized 90 pellets and whole hops is 10%. That's probably because of the 10% woody material that's removed to make them "90" pellets.

It will be interesting to hear your results, though. I can't imagine it can hurt, since pellets are used successfully.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Secondary transfer

Post by shaggyt »

I racked to the secondary this past Saturday and I have to say, the gravity sample tasted great. This is my first brew to tasted very close to some commercial brews I enjoy, though it was not finished quite yet.

Great hop aroma and flavor...more to come.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

continuous hopping

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Has anyone run across plans to build a continuous hopper? I was reading a little about the one that Sam from Dogfish Head used to use for his 120 minute, but I'd like to see a little more info on it before I attempt to build one.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

you are better off just adding hops every couple minutes than fabricating anything. they did have plans in one of the brew your own issues. not sure which one.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by shaggyt »

I would think unless you are not present during the boil, the easiest thing would be to add hops manually. I kept staring at my watch to keep the intervals spaced evenly.

Preparation would also make it easier...I mulled over several different ways of separating the hops into equal size groupings or just grabbing half handfuls. All involved too much thought, so I eventually just used a simple ktichen scoop and eyeballed the amount I added each interval...I got about five scoopfuls out of 1oz of ground whole leaf hops.

Bottomline though...watching the process become mechanized would be cool if the time, effort, and finances are available...I have this picture in my head of a conveyor belt dropping the hops in the boil like something out Bugs Bunny.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Well, the only reason I'd like to build something, is because I want to take the guess work out of it. I'd like to add things exactly even throughout the boil, and that's almost impossible to do when you factor in the human aspect.

Plus, the term "eyeballed" scares me. I do that when I cook, and it's almost impossible to recreate something.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Eyeballin's not so bad

Post by shaggyt »

Suthrncomfrt1884...I understand where you're coming from but the differences in scoops are minimal at best, a small fraction of a gram. I cannot see too much of an impact as a result. Plus, my doctor says I gots good eyeballs, LOL!

So the continuous hopping was a success. Very good aroma which I was hoping for with a well balanced bitterness and flavor. Legman, it is smooth. I just used the same method for my Ground Hog day brew session...we'll see there as well.

One note: I used both pellets and ground whole leafs. The pellets I added using a traditional hop schedule (60-30-10 minutes). The leaf hops were continuous. For the last brew, it was all continuous, alternating between pellets and pulverized leafs from beginning to end.