Master Brewers Program UC Davis

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Master Brewers Program UC Davis

Post by yaturaz »

http://extension.ucdavis.edu/unit/brewi ... rs+Program I have been looking into this and I was wondering if anyone on this site has ever attended any professional courses like this. Also what do you think about it?
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I've looked into a few of these. They tend to be pretty expensive seeing as how most of them are 3-6 month programs.

After talking to the head brewer at my local brewpub, I decided it may not be the best way to go. He said they're nice if you have very little brewing experience and knowlegde and would like to get into the field as soon as possible. Otherwise...as he did, start at a small brewery and work your way up. They guy I talked to started out basically doing grunt work (cleaning, sanitizing, etc.) for the first year or so. He started to learn more the longer he worked there until he eventually moved up to a brewing apprentice. From there, he learned everything he knows and opened his own brewery about 5 years ago. He's got a very loyal fanbase and his brews are great.

I suggest you go talk to some local brewers if you have pubs around you before you throw away thousands of dollars on an education that you can get for free.

If you decide to go to a school, I've heard Siebel's (sp?) is one of the better schools to attend.