Water question

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mmmooretx
Light Lager
Light Lager

Water question

Post by mmmooretx »

I am looking at running a RO (Reverse Osmosis) system for my base water then add minerals to duplicate specific area. Is RO the same as distilled water, or are there differences?
Second part is where is a cheap place to get water analysis done if I cannot get data from local water company or if I need to get analysis of RO. Houston Tx is not in the data listing.
Thanks,
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
N5RWH
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

You can get an analysis of your water at Ward Labs. Once on the site go to Fee Schedule and then water analysis. Test W-6 is the one you need.

About matching the profiles of famous brewing cities; keep in mind that the info you get is most likely for the municipal water supply. What you don't know is how, or if, the brewery is treating the water.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
mmmooretx
Light Lager
Light Lager

Water question

Post by mmmooretx »

Thank you for the analysis site I will probably use them. I understand on the commercial breweries water conditioning and am trying to understand how to optimise water conditioning to beer style. I am also trying to get all of the baseline configurations established for BTP 1.5.2 set so i can start beer formulation again. I was an all grain brewer back in the early 90's and have brewed in three brew pubs making 10 barrell batches. I will continue my resarch and thank you again!
Mike Moore
N5RWH