my first all grain

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

cyto
Light Lager
Light Lager

my first all grain

Post by cyto »

After 10 years of extract brewing I finally made my first all grain brew. I bottled it on 5-4-2008 and tasted it today 5-30-2008. I made a double chocolate stout that I have made at least 10 times, merely converted my extract recipe to all grain.

The funny thing is that after all my attention to detail I forgot that my new brew pot was twice as tall as my old one, so some of the chocolate (real bakers chocolate, not powder) went to the bottom and burned, my stirring spoon couldn't reach it. I thought I ruined it as i could taste it in the wort.

After all my worrying the beer tasted GREAT, even my wife, that doesn't like stouts much, gave me the thumbs up.

I wish I had switched to all grain sooner! :roll:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

my first all grain

Post by bfabre »

Congrats!!!!
I'm still reading and gartheriing equipment. My first is comming soon.
"B"
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

All Graining

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I was one of those who converted to all grain after only a few years. For me, it was the big cost savings as well as being able to formulate recipes beyond extracts available. Yes, time is extended in all graining but it's a hobby and I really enjoy my weekends in the backyard. It usually takes 6 hours to go from grain to in the carboy. I do have extra equipment to store now.
mikfir

All graining

Post by mikfir »

Another advantage of all graining is the ability to modify existing recipes. For instance, I have found that most recipes call for a one hour or 90 minute mash at a given temperature. My system was giving me 60% efficiency at those times. The last two batches I made, I mashed for 2 1/2 hours and moved my efficiency up to 72%. That means more good beer with less grain. Rely on the iodine test--not the recipe timing.
Mike
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: All graining

Post by Bob57702 »

So what is the typical efficiency? I started AG brewing about 1-1/2 yrs ago after using extracts for about a year. I initially got a solid 78% and was very pleased with that. I've recently (6 mos.) got myself a MM-3 Monster mill so that I could buy grain in bulk. I'm now getting a solid 90% efficiency without any tannin or off flavors and good body to the beers. I only mash for an hour and get pretty much the same efficiency whether I do stepped decoction or single infusion. A shortcoming of mine in the brewing process was the sparge and I am getting much better at that now. Anyhow I was just curious.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen