Beer Brewing Business Concept

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

blaster

Beer Brewing Business Concept

Post by blaster »

Hello,
I’m entertaining the idea of opening up a public store that would allow the general public to brew a batch(s) of beer and take it home. All the ingredients, supplies, equipment and cleanup would be included in the price along with onsite training by a licensed brew master. I know some other people are doing this very concept in New York but I was thinking about starting this one up in California. Right now I’m in a research phase but I’d like to hear what other people have to say or think. My demographics would be men & women between the ages of 21 and 45 looking to have fun and learn the foundations of brewing beer at the same time.

One of my bigger concerns right now are the laws in California but so far I haven’t seen anything that would prevent me from my vision.

Thanks,
Jim
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

hey pretty sure they already do that in the bay area. I am born and raised there and remember friends doing that back in the late 90s. cant remember where or the name of it. But for sure in the bay area. I always thought it was a great idea. Then you come back in 2 weeks, bottle it and create your labels.
blaster

Post by blaster »

Thanks for the response and the info on SF….I’ll research and see I can dig up anything. In addition I come from a software development background and was thinking about incorporating this type of theme onto a really nice easy to use website that would allow people the ability to create and tweak their own beer receipts and labels (This would be phase 2 of the business plan). Two weeks later their beer would arrive and they would be enjoying great tasting beer from the comfort of their own home. Anyway, like I said I’m still just researching and playing with ideas.
Thanks,
Jim
slothrob

BOP

Post by slothrob »

These Brew-On-Premises places are somewhat common near Boston. I know of 3 within about 25 miles and 2 more that have gone out of business. Well, not quite out of business; one has consolidated into a typical homebrew shop, while the other has become a brewpub. The business model seems to be about $120 for a 10 gallon batch of an average gravity beer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mccarthy

Post by mccarthy »

Ya im from about 25 min outside of boston and there are two withing a short drive (nashua nh and cambridge ma) once you shell the $50 for the bottles it will run you $120 or so. I actually know someone who works at the one in nashua and its pretty successful, they have a pretty consistent flow coming in, but apparently the startup cost is huge.
lsteffens

Post by lsteffens »

In Sacramento there is a brewpub that also has a "brew on premises" concept. It's always busy when we've gone there for dinner. Their website is: http://www.brewitup.com/
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by hansolo »

Great Idea! I've had those ideas before, and have been disappointed to find out I was just to late! It works great too, one of the reasons I decided to home brew. :mrgreen:
WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/EHINNOVATIONS
T-shirts and more for homebrewers and people with a sense of humor