RIMS or HERMS

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

beerthirty

RIMS or HERMS

Post by beerthirty »

Hi all,
having recently started brewing (6 batches in 10 weeks), I have been pleasing surprised with my results. The first 2 batches I bottled were american amber and german kolsch wheat. they were good enough that they went before the store bought beer at the barbecues. unfortunately once my buddies were drunk they forgot that I needed the bottles back and the return rate made bottling expensive. so I found a deal on several cornies and proceeded with the next 2 batches. they to came out good also but natural carbonation took too long and the next step was force carbonation.(boy I'm learning fast) anyway, I think I'm soon ready to switch from extract to partial or full grain brewing. I have been online and discovered most of the equipment needed will be very easy and inexpensive to build. My question is while reading about grain brewing I keep coming across the terms RIMS or HERMS and have not found an explanation of these terms. Just call me dee...dee... dee, what do they mean?

thanks joe
living in the highest per capita beer consumption state of the union
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by hansolo »

I found a good site that may help you understand the difference.
http://home.hccnet.nl/e.vd.logt/htm/rims_herms_uk.htm
WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/EHINNOVATIONS
T-shirts and more for homebrewers and people with a sense of humor