'Grow-Hops' is the best Internet resource about growing hops

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

'Grow-Hops' is the best Internet resource about growing hops

Post by billvelek »

Our free Grow-Hops group SPECIALIZES in the topic of growing ingredients to brew beer -- primarily hops but some minor coverage of barley and brewing-herbs, too. Now with 1,140 members, including some professional growers/farmers, we're undoubtedly the largest and best resource about growing hops on the Internet today; if you have an interest, please join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops

It's not too late to be put on our list for free hop rhizomes (based on availability, and limited to the U.S.), and we have an extensive list of commercial sources, too, in case we run out or if you live outside the U.S. (I have NO financial interest in any of them). We're just a bunch of friendly homebrewers who also like to garden and are trying to ensure a supply of the hops we want during the ongoing hop crisis. I know that I've made similar announcements, but since our membership is expanding even faster now than a few months ago -- over one hundred in just the past week -- this is evidence that there is still a lot of interest and a need to keep this information readily available within all homebrewing communities -- especially since time for preparations is quickly running out. And because we specialize in _gardening_ topics, all other brewing discussion is OFF-topic in our group; we're therefore not a replacement for _any_ brewing forums, so you should continue to support this group.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by hansolo »

Seriously, how many plants would you need to grow enough for about 12 batches? And I heard hops is poisonous for dogs, would I have to put it somewhere in the yard away from my pets?
WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/EHINNOVATIONS
T-shirts and more for homebrewers and people with a sense of humor
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Two would be enough ... eventually.

Post by billvelek »

hansolo wrote:Seriously, how many plants would you need to grow enough for about 12 batches? And I heard hops is poisonous for dogs, would I have to put it somewhere in the yard away from my pets?
Assuming you make 5 gallon batches and usually use three ounces of hops per batch, then you would need 36 ounces; the problem is that you probably would want a bittering hop and a flavor/aroma hop, although you could select one for all purposes. In any event, first year harvest is not usually very good, second year is generally better, but you probably won't get a full harvest until after the third year. The amount of harvest varies somewhat by variety, as well as growing conditions, but most mature plants should produce over a pound of dried hops. The average crops produced in the U.S. commercially seem to vary from 1.75 to 2.25 pounds per plant, but in Australia and New Zealand, their statistics indicate that they are producing even more -- about 2.75 pounds per plant IIRC. It is my understanding that aroma/flavor hops usually produce less per plant that higher AA bittering hops. Denny Conn, a fairly well known brewer on the Internet, reports that he gets about 2.5 pounds per year from one plant on a chain-link fence -- Cascade, IIRC. Last year my first-year Fuggles produced only about 7 dried ounces per plant, but I fully expect to harvest at least a pound per plant this summer. Even if you don't grow enough for all of your needs, every little bit helps. Besides that, I think it is an enjoyable side-aspect to homebrewing, but they I like gardening, too.

If you're interested in more info, Grow-Hops is now up to 1,609 members.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I've harvested around 7 ounces per plant from my 2 year Cascades. I'll add a couple more varieties this year.

Dogs won't be interested in the hop plants. They just like to eat the sugar soaked spent hops from the kettle.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Maybe a future project

Post by hansolo »

Doesn't sound to bad, I might have to try that. Oh, by the way, I have a Siberian Husky that eats everything in the backyard,lol, she ate the plastic snow shovel last week. Maybe even she is tired of the snow here too.
slothrob

hops and dogs

Post by slothrob »

If she's that voracious maybe she will eat them!

...but I think you'll be fine.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Bored Chewing

Post by hansolo »

Usually she chews stuff when she is left aloned for too long. I will have to close it off to her just to be safe.
:lol:
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:I've harvested around 7 ounces per plant from my 2 year Cascades. I'll add a couple more varieties this year.

Dogs won't be interested in the hop plants. They just like to eat the sugar soaked spent hops from the kettle.
Agreed. The only thing my dog likes about my hop bines is that they are a good place to take a nap. We have lots of shade in our yard, but he sleeps in the shade of the hops about as much as anywhere. I don't know if he likes the smell, or if he has figured out that he has better dreams (assuming green hops also have that same quality).

Cheers.

Bill Velek