Fruit Lambic... What about in the US?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

StrangeBrew2
Light Lager
Light Lager

Fruit Lambic... What about in the US?

Post by StrangeBrew2 »

This would be my fourth batch and I want to try just about anything. Id' like to try making a beer with real fruit or if I have to some extract from the brew store. I understand "Lambic" comes specifically from a 15 mile region in Belguim. First off what type of beer generally adapts the fruit flavors best? I would imagine wheat would be one of the best because of its light flavors, but I am not a huge wheat fan. I would lean towards a Wit like Blue Moon. I guess it would depend on the general classification of the beer I would be making, but what kind of yeast would work best?

I know these are broad questions, but anything you've learned from personal experience would be great.

Thank You
StrangeBrew2
Light Lager
Light Lager

Too Broad

Post by StrangeBrew2 »

Let me make this question a little more simple. If anyone could post on what type of fruits they have experienced with and what success or failures they have had it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

raspberry seems to be fruit most people try first.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
StrangeBrew2
Light Lager
Light Lager

thanks

Post by StrangeBrew2 »

Thank You for the reply. That's also what a guy I work with said who brews. I guess it's better to play it safe the first time and work with a more common fruit. Eventually I hope to try something a little more unusual like Kiwi Banana and see how well that works.
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by akueck »

I made a blackberry amber that turned out wonderfully.
StrangeBrew2
Light Lager
Light Lager

too sour?

Post by StrangeBrew2 »

Akueck,

Blackberry is one of my favorite flavorings as far as fruit goes. My paranoia, which I'm sure is uncalled for, is that sour fruits like Blackberries, raspberries, lemon/lime, etc... might be too sour for a deeper flavored beer like an amber or stout. Was your outcome still pretty sweet yet full? How did you compensate for the sourness of the fruit? My problem on my first two batches seems to be addatives (like Maple Syrup) taking away from the fullness of my beer.

Thank You
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by akueck »

No, it was not that sweet, nor was it full. It didn't turn out sour either, but it was very light in body due to the fruit and in general lacking in beer-ness (vs fruit-ness). Still a nice beer and very refreshing. Someday I'll make it again and "fix" it, probably with a little crystal and/or a higher temp mash.

The recipe is in the online database if you feel like looking it up. Darkberry ale or something like that. I think the amount of fruit I used was fine, but the base beer needs work to bring up the body and the sweeter caramely flavors to balance the fruit better. Also next time I'll be sure that it doesn't explode little purple rockets all over once I add the fruit. :lol:
StrangeBrew2
Light Lager
Light Lager

Rockets

Post by StrangeBrew2 »

lol.

I appreciate the response. I will deffinately look it up and probably go with a variation of your recipe for my next one. I went a little brew crazy with 4 batches for the first month in my brew career so I think I need to sit back, read, and drink and learn a bit more about what I have created before I go for my 5th batch. I am trying slightly longer 2ndary fermenter periods on my 3rd and 4th to see if that helps at all. With not that many people to pass some 6 packs onto I have a lot of beer to down. I expect I'll be back at it later in February when I am a little smarter.

Thanks.