What have I created?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

waiter23

What have I created?

Post by waiter23 »

I just brewed my first batch of homebrew following a general recipe that came w/ my brewing supplies, I changed a few things. I am wondering what type/style of beer it is considered? And how the finished beer may turn out?

1 lb crystal malt, 2 cans amber malt extract (Muntons), 1 oz hallertau pellets 45 min., 1/2 oz hallertau pellts 15 min., 1/2 hallertau pellets 5min., starting grav 1.045. Ale yeast. Secondary grav 1.018. Dry hopped w/ 1/4 oz fuggles pellets. Thanks.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

What yeast did you use?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
waiter23

Post by waiter23 »

I used Ale yeast.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I would probably call it an Amber Ale, then.
Check out the BJCP Guidelines.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Well, you've got English malt syrup, lots of German hops in the boil and a bit of English hops for dry hopping. Based on ingredients you're probably not going to find a match in the BJCP style guidelines, but then that's why we homebrew...to create something original.

I wouldn't worry about hitting a particular style for a while. If you're just starting, then it will probably take a few more batches until you get your brewing techniques dialed in, and then you can start brewing to style...keeping in mind that if you wake up one morning with the inspiration to make a cranberry pilsner, you won't find it in the style guidelines (at least not specifically), but I wouldn't discourage you from trying to make it.

Todd