Bottling Question

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Big-O-2

Bottling Question

Post by Big-O-2 »

My question is after bottling and carbonation has taken place is it OK to store in my closet? I do not have enough frig space for it all? I have been bottling and drinking it as fast as it got bottled. But my freind started brewing and between us both we have about 5 cases stored up in the closet. I do not want it going bad.

David
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Bottling Question

Post by wottaguy »

Hi David!
It is my understanding that you should be able to store the beer at room temps for a length of 6 to 8 months or so before any serious loss of flavor or deterioration occurs. How long are you planning to store it? I know my brews almost never make it to the 6month period and I make 10 gals at a time. I would plan to store it no longer than 6 months and that is my personal opinion.
Hope this helps!
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

David,

The length of time you can store your beer depends entirely on the style of beer, the storage conditions and how well you control aeration while bottling.

The styles lighter in flavor normally don't improve over time, so drinking them fresh is the best way to go. Other high alcohol styles such as barleywine or imperial stout, need a good 6 months before the flavors really start to meld well. I've have 5 year-old barleywine that was absolutely fantastic.

If the closet you have maintains a fairly constant temperature, not getting too hot in the summer then it should be fine. But high temps will heat stress the beer, and there should be no exposure to sunlight.

Also be careful about splashing and other things that will cause the finished beer to pick up oxygen, causing stale/oxidized beer. You can also buy oxygen scavenging caps, that can prolong the life of a bottled beer.

Todd
Big-O-2

Post by Big-O-2 »

:D I was going to only store it for a month or so. I can say one thing no matter how much I make it always gets drank. All my neighbors love the home brew and a few have joined in the fun. Thanks guys I just got the BeerTools program and I am putting it through the paces.

Happy drinking and brewing to all.

David