Cider Help?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Radler
Light Lager
Light Lager

Cider Help?

Post by Radler »

I'm curious if any of you have tried to make hard cider. I tried it for the first time a few days ago. I picked a lot of good cider apples, pressed them added a camden tablet and waited 24 hours, just like I was told to do and read. I then added pasteur champagne yeast and it fermented like mad for 4 days. The gravity went from 1.060 to 1.005. I tasted the sample and it ain't that great (ie. bad, although still drinkable). Temp was from 68-62 F. Will this get better with age or have I wasted a very expensive bunch of great apple cider (tasted excellent before I fermented it)? Thanks.

Rad
akueck
Light Lager
Light Lager

just wait

Post by akueck »

I made a cider (though from frozen concentrate). It tasted quite "interesting" at first--very harsh and not that good. A few months later it is much better than it was before. Give it some time; I've heard ciders just take awhile before they turn the corner.

You might also consider a different yeast choice in the future. Different yeasts will leave different characters on the final product. I used Lalvin's K1V-1116 yeast and it does a good job showcasing the apple flavors.