When to Rack?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Onescalerguy

When to Rack?

Post by Onescalerguy »

Help me please.
I'm fixin to brew my first batch and i'm stumped as to when to transfer to the secondary fermenter.Nothing i've read says when specifically.I bought a deluxe set-up with two pails and two carboys.I'm hoping to have a couple batches going at a time(or more!!!).So i ask,when to go from pail to carboy?Thanks a lot.
Bill :?:
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It depends

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Let your air lock and your hydrometer be your guide or you can use the guidlines that I use for ales. I call it the 1,2,3 rule. One week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary and three weeks to bottle condition. Your airlock should have very little activity when your transfer to your secondary. It is critial however, that you take a gravity reading before you bottle to ensure that everything is done before you bottle or you could have beer bombs.
Regards,

James
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

30 Seconds on airlock

Post by KBrau »

I have gotten lazy about taking gravity readings and usually just wait until it takes 30 seconds or more between bubbles on my airlock. Hardly scientific, but I have had good success with this method.
pcharles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: When to Rack?

Post by pcharles »

Onescalerguy wrote:Help me please.
I'm fixin to brew my first batch and i'm stumped as to when to transfer to the secondary fermenter.Nothing i've read says when specifically.I bought a deluxe set-up with two pails and two carboys.I'm hoping to have a couple batches going at a time(or more!!!).So i ask,when to go from pail to carboy?Thanks a lot.
Bill :?:
I like to have a little activity in my airlock when I rack. This is because I want fermentation to continue and drive out any air resulting from the racking process. The agitation of an active yeast, combined with a little extra oxygen from the racking can actually stimulate the yeast to get back to work.