White Labs Liquid Yeast

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

White Labs Liquid Yeast

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi everybody ...

My distributor WILL not carry white labs yeast anymore because they have screwed up their quality control. He did an experiment and found that they had way less active yeast cells than they claimed. He has started to supply Wyeast 125 ml smack pack (the big boys), and I used one this weekend (american ale 1056, for my Boston Ale recipe), smacked the pack day before, fully inflated in 3 hours, poured it in to a starter for 18 hours, big krausen and my beer took off in two hours ...

Anyone else out there having the same issues with their supplier or brewing ?

Regards,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeast

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I too have had White Labs fail and prefer Wyeast smack packs however sometimes the recipe calls for White Labs. So now, I always make a yeast starter 2 to 3 days prior to brewing. This ensures that I have plenty of viable yeast ready to go on brew day regardless of the brand. My brew supply shop still carries both. I never checked to see which one has a longer shelf life but do check the best before date before purchasing. My brew supply shop keeps them refrigerated.

Regards,

James
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hi AZ Suupp

Post by Freon12 »

I think there are some yeasts that I must have to recreate some of my favorite beers. I can tell the difference if another yeast is used. So sometimes I just get the one I need and use a starter to get what I need.

I agree that I shouldn't have to do this, and the vial should be enough for a 5 gallon batch. Frankly, it never has been. The fish air pump idea with the filter is the best idea you ever had.
Anyway, don't let the lack of cells deter from the yeast you want to use. Maybe whitelabs will take a lesson on vialbility from Wyeast and they in turn will take a lesson in purity from whitelabs.

Steve, "the now not so retired brewer." all of a sudden like.