Malty Flavor

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Zok
Light Lager
Light Lager

Malty Flavor

Post by Zok »

What is the usual amount of time that I should be waiting after bottling to get rid of that thick malty flavor?

A while ago I made a thread about my beer over carbonating. Towards the end of that post we ended up talking about what to do with my incredibly dark beer which tasted like malt. The verdict was to wait a few months and try it again. I opened a bottle the other day and the malt flavor had seriously been cut down. I was quite impressed. Now the malt flavor is still there, so I'm gonna wait a bit longer.

Now I have another batch of beer, light beer. I bottled it 6 days ago. I opened a bottle today just to make sure that it wasn't over pressurizing again and so that I wouldn't have to worry about exploding bottles. It was fine. I decided to taste test it as well. I noticed that it tasted quite malty (not too malty, but malty enough to make me dislike it).

From the above two paragraphs, I gathered that over time the malt flavor decreases (and eventually levels off). So my question is how long after bottling will it take a standard light, amber, and dark beer to be drinkable (in terms of flavor, not carbonation)?
Gmku
Light Lager
Light Lager

Why is it malty in the first place??

Post by Gmku »

Zok, not knowing your recipes, it's hard to say. What malts did you use and how much? What kinds of hops and how much?

Do you think it's a matter of balance, that is, proportion of malts to hops? Or some other reason it tastes too malty to you?

I think I've heard that hops diminish in flavor and bitterness before anything happens to the malt, so I would think, if anything, aging your beer would only make it maltier. Unless I'm off the mark, I think the solution is in your ingredients--your recipe and your brewing process.
Zok
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Zok »

Hmm, nevermind. I let some of my friends try it and they all agreed that it's just sweeter than usual, not maltier. I suppose I'm just not too used to sweet beer so I objeceted to it, hah.
sabolish

Priming with DME?

Post by sabolish »

Are you priming with DME or corn sugar? Part of what you're tasting is probably your priming media.

I had a similar experience with a double IPA a few months ago. I bottled it with corn sugar and tried it after 7 days and it tasted sweet and malty and wasn't vary carbonated. After a month it tasted much drier and had normal carbonation. Some beers takes several weeks to finish fermenting the priming sugar. I've found that 2*sigma beers are fully carbonated at 4 weeks.