Ft Worth Water

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Ft Worth Water

Post by BillyBock »

Sorry for my slight absence. Good to see some names I remember. My question is based on the reason for my absence....I've moved to Ft Worth, TX. Does anybody know the chemistry of the city water?

Thanks
Bill
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Welcome back Billy

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I was about to put out an APB on you LOL ..., glad to see you are doing ok. I moved here to Greenville SC 2 years ago and I went on line to my county web site, there was a good amount of info there but there was also a contact link to the water dept.

I contacted them and asked for specifics, it took about a week and a half but they gave me more information than I know what to do with ... Good Luck buddy, Good to have you back.

Paul
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Rootin' ARound

Post by Monkey Man »

You could probably root around on Ft. Worth's website. I would imagine that they would have information somewhere. Course I also imagined 8 racks would come back. Uh what are ya gonna do?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

"Homecoming"

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks for the "homecoming," Paul. I checked their site, but all I could find was the "our water doesn't have the stuff that's gonna kill you" info like cryptosporidium, etc. So I called and spoke to a human. Lo and behold I got what I needed in the mail recently (imagine that.) I'll post the numbers in this thread for anybody else that may want it. BTW, as far as your screen name...my guess is you're either from the Azores or you were stationed there. My bets are on #2. Of course, I could be completely wrong too. Are you, were you, a GI? I am.

v/r
Bill
"There is no beer in Heaven, that's why we drink it here." -- German proverb
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Found It

Post by BillyBock »

Allright, I rcv'd the info I needed in the mail. So if there are any other fellow Ft Worth brewers, here's the water analysis:

Ca: 34-55 ppm
SO4: 36-47 ppm
Cl: 16-48 ppm
Mg: 3-10 ppm
Na: 13-37 ppm
HCO3: 98-154 ppm
CO3: 0 ppm
pH: 7.8-8.7
Total Hardness as CaCO3: 119-163 ppm
Total Alkalinity as CaCO3: 80-126 ppm

Chloramines are used instead of chlorine, so you'll definitely want to charcoal filter your water before using. They'll be migrating to ozone for disinfection in some areas in 2003.

If you want the full Year 2001 Drinking Water Quality Report, it's at this URL (I found it after I got my copy in the mail):

http://www.fortworthgov.org/water/Water ... nglish.pdf

v/r
Bill