Does anybody have any thoughts on 'A Textbook of Brewing'?

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Does anybody have any thoughts on 'A Textbook of Brewing'?

Post by jeff »

Just read a brief description of 'A Textbook of Brewing' by Jean De Clerck and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the book and its value to the brewer. What does the book focus on? Mostly techniques, or does it emphasize the science of brewing? Thanks for your thoughts!
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

I used it during my brewing course.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Jeff,

It is a good brewing text, one that many of the homebrewing texts quote or the writers use as a resource. It is an older book that was published in 1957. It was translated from French into English so there are certain syntax errors. I only have the first volume, my instructor told us that the second was dedicated to malting science and would be minimal help to the craft brewer.

I have a couple of other books that would help you.

Making Beer - William Mares (real life beer stories, my first book)
Homebrewing for Dummies - Marty Nachel (very good 'how to book')
Brew Chem 101 - Lee Janson (helps with understanding/troubleshooting faults)
The Brewers Handbook - Ted Goldammer (a good pro-brewer reference)
The practical Brewer - MBAA (nice to have in the library, big brewer methods)

It all depends how deep you want to get. I am still digging. Let me kow if you want any other resources.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Brewing library

Post by jeff »

Thanks for the reply! I am always on the lookout for in-depth texts on brewing to help refine the formulae and algorithms built into the tools at BeerTools.com.

The Brewers' Handbook is a great reference and I have used it to get a firm understanding of malt specifications. I also really like Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer and George Fix's Principles of Brewing Science. I also have a few other titles such as The Brewmaster's Bible, Designing Great Beers, Zymurgy For the Homebrewer and Beer Lover, The Home Brewer's Companion, The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing, Classic Beer Style Series: Belgian Ale, Brew Ware, Clonebrews and Beer Captured. Do you think A Textbook of Brewing will make a nice complement to these books? Thanks again! :)
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff