Recipe originator chat

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

boxabeer

Recipe originator chat

Post by boxabeer »

I an making a Blonde Ale from a recipe I got off this page. I have some questions but I can't find the email address or contact for the owner of the recipe.
Thoughts?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Who is credited

Post by fitz »

Who is credited with the recipe(author)?
Any of the guys I have talked with here would probably be happy to give you some tips about a recipe they came up with.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

boxabeer....

Post by dartedplus »

boxabeer, what happened to you???? Who was the author of the recipe????
boxabeer

leinie's - bryan

Post by boxabeer »

Sorry everyone I was out of the country for a bit. The recipe I am making is leinie's - bryan blonde ale (extract). My main concern was after about 2.5 days (started 4/10 @ 1.045 SG), fermentation slowed significiantly, one blip every 35-45 secs. and it had a 3" "milkshake" like head on it. This was new to me. I racked into a secondary (4/13 @ 1.022 SG) and the fermentation started again for another 5 days. Did I rack too soon? 4/30 now, all is quiet and clear and I'm ready to bottle. Have I let is sit too long since the second racking?
Thanks
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

couple

Post by fitz »

Here is a couple of things:
First, the concern of did you let it set in the secondary too long. No. two weeks in the 2nd is not too long. Two weeks in the Primary may give you some off flavors.
about the racking too soon there are a couple things here. If you are using a bucket type primary, there may be CO2 escaping with out the airlock bubbling. With the frothy head on top, it sounded as if you transferred in the middle of the ferment. If a lot of the yeast had fallen out etc. no problem with off flavors. The fermentation began comment may also be that you put the beer/wort into a crboy, with less surface area, and there was no way for the CO2 to go but up and out the airlock. Sometimes we don't do everything according to HOYLE, but we still get great beer. Relax, and try it once it is bottled and carbonated. It may be a great beer.