advice

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

scruz

advice

Post by scruz »

just a quick note ... if you like this forum, try out this one. its great.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hey now

Post by jayhawk »

Personally, I do not like new forumsters advocating other sites that compete with Beertools. Providing links to information that adds to a discussion thread is fine, but using the Beertools forum as a place for free advertising for sites competing with Beertools is inconsiderate. Beertools is a great site, and I would still be spinning my wheels in brewing purgatory without this site. I am sure that there are a plethora of other great sites that provide great info, but I, and I am sure many other users of this forum are in the same boat, use one and only site...Beertools. I do not have time to participate in other forums, nor do I have any desire, as Beertools fulfills all my brewing info needs. As much as homebrewers do have a great community, there is competition among websites for a fairly limited audience. Therefore, I am sticking with the site that has allowed me to exponentially expand my brewing knowledge over the last 18 months, and, all for free. Beertools has my loyalty, and it bothers me when folks drop by to advertise other sites and try to sway users away from this excellent site. As I said, links to sites that add info to a discussion are welcome, but free advertising of competitors should not be tolerated.

If any of the forumsters think I am out of line, let me know.

Chris
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

I'm with Jayhawk

Post by Fraoch »

Couldnt have said it better myself.Been to other sites but eventually found "home" Havent moved since.Why look for glass when you have diamonds???
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I'm with Jayhawk

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Chris perfectly worded.

The first thing that caught my attention was his handle "Scruz" OK, creative but it also says something else LOL ...

I can post a long list of other forums out there, they all have something good to offer, but this site combines the features of everyone of those into ONE site.

There is a core of dependable loyal members with visits from "time to timers". What ever your role we have all found dependability in Beer Tools. I AM A LOYAL MEMBER HERE TO STAY.

Scruz, you are welcome here but only as a member and one that appreciates what the Beer Tools staff is trying to accomplish. Integrity, honesty, camaraderie.

My $.02 ...

Paul.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Amen

Post by fitz »

I haven't been here long, but the reason why I joined was to talk beer. I have many of friends whom like what I make, but they don't share my "love" of beer. It is hard to make beer conversation, when they keep asking the differences between an ale and a lager, what is a pilsner what is a stout or "isn't beer, beer"
I don't suppose these same peolpe would want to go to a restaurant and pay the same for a burger that you would for a steak.
Anyway, we don't need subversives out there. If you want to talk beer, or you have a question to be answered, come here. If you are trying to start a new site, go somewhere else.
If you thought this site may be interesting to someone, just say that Scruz.
Don't try to make it sound better than beertools. It would be like someone coming into your house and telling you "If you think you have a nice house, you should see mine."
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thanks

Post by Push Eject »

...but "it's" is spelled with an apostrophe. Its is the possessive form of the pronoun it.

Bad grammar aside, I don't take quite the hardline some of the other guys do about pushing your favorite websites. Lord knows I have posted messages about BeerTools other places too.

It does look like a decent forum, but this one is home. Personally, the BeerTools forum has just become so comfortable that anything else seems disorganized -- don't ask me why. :)

Cheers,
Ollie
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

me, a moderate?!?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Chris and the Other Angry Villagers,

Your sentiments precicely sum up the gut reaction I had when I read the post. But, Scruz didn't say "BeerTools blows, come here instead." He just said (as I interpret it)hey, if you guys like to talk beer you may want to at least know about this other resource. I followed the link, and I would have been as riled up as you if the first thing I saw was advertisement or something you were asked to shell out money for. But, I instead saw a place where other passionate homebrewers of all levels got a chance to share thoughts. I lurked a while, didn't post or register, but did read some well-informed threads. The navigation and thread handling is way more cluttered than it is here (Thanks BT Staff!), so if nothing else, you can go to the site just to convince yourself we here are all hanging out at the right place.

OK, while the tone of Scruz post could have been tempered by first saying "Hey, great site here, please pardon the intrusion and forgive me if you find this disrespectful, but here is yet another of many fine homebrewing resources you might find useful..." But, he did turn me onto another possibly useful resource I did not know about. Since when were homebrewers known to have couth anyway?

I am fiercely loyal to my homebrew supply shop. But, they don't stock brumalt. When I need brumalt to make a beer, I have to get it from somewhere else, and it would be silly for me to feel bad about that. When BYO or the other magazines focus on a style, they always include multiple (often conflicting) opinions from several writers and brewers and don't always go to the same handful of "experts". Similarly, in the future if I don't get an answer to a question posted here (a long-shot, I know!), I'll go and see if any of the regulars on the other site have any thoughts on the matter. And I won't feel like I'm being unfaithful to this site that I dearly love.

Beertools is our home, and that won't change. But, to me at least, it is refreshing to know we are not the only island of excellence in the sea of beer mediocrity out there.

I wouldn't have bothered with this "voice of tolerance" post had I not recently been turned off by a lot of in-fighting on the other Internet message board I frequent. As a transplanted Chicago southsider and baseball fan, I live and breath White Sox (who haven't won a WS since 1917, but what are ya gonna do?). Long story short, a great onling community has pretty much disintegrated because people started flaming each other about every little thing, resorting to name-calling, etc (Lhen, of course, we should focus on bashing the Cubs and their fans, just kidding (mostly)). I wouldn't know Scruz if he bit me on the ankle (though I would not much appreciate it). But, at least in my naive opinion, all he did was post a link to a site we may or may not find interesting or useful. He didn't say you have to buy this or that, and he didn't slam this site as far as I can interpret. Sorry. Done.

Love and Do What You Will,
(And Have a Homebrew)
Ghandi Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks Jim

Post by dartedplus »

Jim,
thanks for being a voice of reason. When I first read the other posts I was amazed at the ferocity of the atttacks. I too went to the other site, which I think I have actualy visited before at some time, but found it to be not as streamilined as this site. I would have wrote a reply earlier, but was too lazy to type with one hand as I was holding the baby at the time (he really makes it hard to enter long posts...long being more than 2 words)
That aside, scruz, I am sorry for the lashing you got and I for one thank you for sharing. Also I'm not condemning the lashers for being true to their site, but we all need to be friends and comrades in our happy little community here.

ps. for you guys in the "club", soon! maybe next week

Ed
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

That's what I kind of illuded to.

Post by fitz »

Hey guys, that's what I meant by saying if Scruz just thought we might like to view this other site, he should just say that.
The way he stated it on here, which can easily be misunderstood, is that if we think this site is good, try the other one.
I did look at the other site, just to be unbiased, but I like the form of the forum here better. The other is similar to an interchange in a big city. Many moderators and postings accordingly. Beertools lays it right out there. Besides that, I like the bantering you do back and forth. More like a conversation in a pub than posting to a corkboard.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fight Club

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Dress me in a blouse and call me to order!

Rule Number One: Don't talk about Blouse Club (people start to wonder about you).
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Agreed

Post by Push Eject »

Hear hear.

Bring me another pint.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

At a loss for words.

Post by jeff »

I have reviewed some of the posts in this forum and I have learned a few things. First of all, I am very flattered by the loyalty displayed by the members of BeerTools.com. The support that all of you have given to the forum has gone far beyond any expectations that I had when building it. I have seen friendships develop here.
Another thing I have learned is that the success of this forum is not the result of keeping other great beer sites a secret. BeerTools.com was not the first beer related discussion group and certainly will not be the last. That said, though, in no way diminishes the fact that there is something special here; and that remains evident to all newcomers. Thanks to all of you, when I receive emails requesting brewing advice, I can direct their attention to this forum in full confidence that they will get an answer.
I would like to say, 'scruz', thank you for the recommendation; and everyone else, thank you for your loyal support.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

A message to Scruz

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Scruz, if you have been keeping up to speed here you can clearly see that we really care about this site :-)

You can also see that we are passionate about Beer Tools. There is a good bit of history here, and you sparked some much-needed controversy. Rest assured that we want you to stay.

This is American Dang it, not the Middle East, a man is entitled to his opinion, just be ready for an on sloth of rebuttal if it doesn't agree with the rest of us LOL ... You just passed the initiation phase LOL ... We just have a lot of C02 to blow off (brupp), you happened to come alone and play with the relief valve, Join the club, you ARE one of the boys ...

Paul.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I heard that!

Post by Freon12 »

Dart can send a "blouse" anytime, so there.

S.
scruz

thanks and sorry

Post by scruz »

guys and gals frequenting beertools, first if i would like to apoligize for offending anyone with my first post. i am not working for northernbrewer and it was not my intention to take anything away from beertools. i also am a regular visitor of beertools and have found it to be a vast source of knowledge for my brewing. however, that being said, please relax and understand that you can be loyal to more than one source of information. not only am i a regular visitor of beertools, but i am also a regular visitor of northernbrewer. i have also found it to be a vast source of of information for my brewing needs. and to those of you that are skeptical of my loyalty to both, go to the site and check my posts. you will find that i have also put a plug for beertools there as well. i absolutely love both sites and i feel that i would not be where i am as and quickly as i did without either site. but i see that both have the same problem. i always thought that the purpose of an informational forum was to share information. not to suppress the competitor, but to embrace his knowledge and adapt it to your needs or to reinforce your stance or information. i have found that those of us who would like to share information as much as possible are often attacked for being so open. i dont want to step on any toes, i just want to share all that i have on the topic, because i am thankful for those that gave me the knowledge i needed for my own advancement. again i apoligize for the misunderstanding. i dont work for NB or BT. i just enjoy the topic of beer. finally, those who were making fun of my username, s-cruz, first initial and last name. not so funny now. best brewing to you all and i hope that this is helpful in understanding the post. one more thing, thanks to all of you that were respectful of my post. :)