Attn: Beer Tools Staff

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Attn: Beer Tools Staff

Post by BillyBock »

I posted a response to a thread and it showed as a main thread. This is the second time it's happened. What's going on?

v/r
Bill
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Some more details

Post by jeff »

Not quite sure why this happens sometimes. I have never been able to duplicate the problem myself. What browser are you using? Has it ever happened to you before? Have you been able to post replies in the past using the same computer and browser? If there are any other specifics you can provide, please do so; that way I can try to get to the bottom of this problem. Thanks.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Details

Post by BillyBock »

Jeff: I use IE 6.0 and XP Home Edition. I've been using these for months with no apparent problems until only recently. This particular problem of an incorrectly posted reply has happened one other time IIRC. Also, there have been a couple of times where I've written a response, clicked submit, and it never showed up. The only common thing between them is that they all happened within the last month. I hope this gives you something to work with.

Thanks much,
Bill
HomeBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Details...

Post by HomeBrew »

I've not yet had this happen to me, and I'm using the same software as BillyBock.

This type of problem is unlikely to be client-side, anyhow -- it's probably server-side, but perhaps only happens under rare circumstances. These types of little bugs are very hard to stomp..

What is the base language of this forum software (PHP, Perl, other)? What database does it link to (MySQL?)?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

lost posts

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Jeff,

I have had posts disappear loke Billy describes here, and I noted it in a bughunting thread a couple of weeks ago. In my cases, the errors only occurred if it took more than 10 minutes to compose a forum response, so it seems to be a timeout type of error. Perhaps this is also the reason for the misplaced responses?

Jim
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Timeout errors

Post by jeff »

Recently we have hit all time peaks in traffic; this is a good thing though. The down side is that visitor sessions timeout sooner when there are more users logged in. During high traffic times there is a greater chance for errors as described above. When a session times out, all of the session information is destroyed; so the server no longer knows who a user is and new login is required.
Another issue that may be responsible for lost posts is the duplicate post protection I have built into the forum software. There used to be a big problem with posts being posted multiple times. The solution to that problem can sometimes result in posts being rejected if session data has been destroyed.
All that said, we have to live with the occasional error for now. Meanwhile, I will begin work on rewriting the forum software.
Your patience is appreciated, thanks.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

The Forum is well done

Post by Push Eject »

Jeff,
As some of the users know I maintain three other websites. I've "shopped" for a good forum script/package for quite a while, but none measure up to this forum interface.

If you ever decide to make it open source I want to be the first to know!

Cheers,
Ollie