Problems using the forum? Post them here.

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Problems using the forum? Post them here.

Post by jeff »

If you have had problems using the forum, as some have expressed, let me know what went wrong in detail. The more I know, the easier it is to fix. Thanks for your help!
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Missing Summary...

Post by Push Eject »

The goofiness I mentioned was the first I've experienced, Jeff. I hope my bug report was clear; if not let me know.

Cheers!
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Posts lost to the aether

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Yeah Jeff, my biggest hassle since the launch of the revamped forum is that posts sometimes just disappear after the Submit button is hit. They don't show up in the thread, and you just get a generic timed out message if you try to backtrack. it has only happeded where I have taken several minutes to compose a forum post, so it did seem to be a timeout issue. My workaround had just been to compose messages in a word processor and copy to the forum, but that was a less than perfect solution since there seem to be ANSI equivalent issues for apostrophes and certain punctuation that you still need to hunt down and fix before submitting.

Other than that, all has been good. Keep up the good work - there are a lot of people here that are very appreciative of all your efforts.

Cheers,
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I Hit Enter

Post by dartedplus »

I'm not completely sure as it happened a while back, but I think I hit enter after I did my summary (instead of hitting tab) and then it bounced me back to so that I could fill out the body of my post.
then when I hit submit, it made4 a new threead out of it instead of as a reply to another post.

On a side note. Last year I made a grain mill like you featured in an article here. To my surprise it broke yesterday while milling my grains. The board on the end of the box that the adjustment screws go into for the slider, cracked straight across where the screws went through. So for your design you may want to strengthen that in some way. I plan on overlaying a piece of metal across the back and around the sides where I can screw it into the box.
I'll send you a picture when I get around to doing it.

Later,
Ed
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

1 more...

Post by l48shark »

harde 2 tipe aftr 2 much hombrew .

;) LOL
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

TUI

Post by jeff »

The problem is TUI, typing under the influence. The solution to the problem is unfortunately beyond the scope of the forum software.
;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

About that mill

Post by jeff »

I have since redesigned the mill and changed some dimensions. There used to be two adjustment screws, and now there is only one adjustment knob. The box is assembled using dado joints which strengthens it considerably. The rollers are bigger and the bearings are smaller. The new design allows it to be built with weaker less expensive materials while maintaining the same functional strength. If you get a chance, send me a picture of your mill. Sorry about the breakage. jeff@beertools.com
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

axle?

Post by fitz »

I saw the design of your mill. One thing that caught my eye, was that you had to go buy something to use as an axle, and then bearings to let it ride on. Did you consider an axle and bearing off of a bike. The bearing and axle would be close to the right length and size you would need(I would think) and those are very readily available. Just a thought. I'm sure they could be cleaned well, and they wouldn't be in contact with the grain anyhow.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Sealed bearing cartridges.

Post by jeff »

The nice thing about the bearings I found was their shape. They are a perfect cylinder which allows them to be mounted inside holes drilled with a Forstner bit. They fit nice and snug.
As for the axle, the new design incorporates a piece of 1/2" aluminum rod. It costs only a few cents per foot, it's strong, and its dimensions are such that it fits perfectly inside the roller hole and the bearing.
You're right, it would be cheaper if I didn't have to buy the bearings; they're expensive. The short amount of time spent, and little need for special tools made up for the extra cash used on the sealed bearing cartridges. That's just my opinion though. If you build a mill using bicycle parts, I would like to see it. Send pictures to jeff@beertools.com; such an effort deserves to be written about.