compensting for beer analysis

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

compensting for beer analysis

Post by Fraoch »

My hydrometer is for 20c, so how do i compensate for the 15c in the finished beer analysis, apparently, i got 100% efficiency, and i know that DID not happen!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Do you have a formula?

Post by jeff »

If you have a correction formula for your hydrometer, I would be interested in seeing it. The only formula I have is for 60F hydrometers. I can add a choice of hydrometers in the analysis so you could pick the appropriate correction formula.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

correction formula?

Post by Fraoch »

A choice would be great Jeff as i have only owned 20c hydrometers, and belive me , ive dropped a few, so i guess i could say ive owned a few as well, all were calibrated at 20c. I had always presumed that the readings on the beer analysis were for 20c and it wasnt until the new look format arrived that i realised the mistake, This puts my mash efficiency correct for my calculations, as i have still done the LONG hand method of working out my efficiency, and the 2 results were always different. The only figures i have for correcting 20c hydrometers are from Graham Wheelers's book "home brewing" by CAMRA and read as such:
TEMP
4-10 minus2 on hyd
11-17 -1
18 - 22 0
23-26 +1
27-29 +2
30-32 +3
33-35 +4
36-38 +5
39-41 +6
But how you convert from 15.6 to 20c is beyond me im afraid.Maybe the above is usefull???
cheers
Fraoch
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Calibration choices

Post by jeff »

I have included a menu allowing you to select from the two different calibrations. I did a little research and found that most hydrometers are offered in 68F (20C) or 60F (15.6C) calibrations. Both are included in the Analysis form now. Hope this works for you!