Chat

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Chat

Post by dartedplus »

Hey Jeff,how about the addition of a chat room so that we can talk to each other, instead of having to wait for posts. I think that there is almost always someone on the site, and this way if you need an answer quick you can most likely get instantly.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ain't down with chat

Post by jayhawk »

An advantage of the post system is the thread archive, which may deteriorate if we moved to a chat room system. I find that if there are people on the site who have info about a post, it will be responded to quite quickly. Just my opinion.
Chris
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

agree...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

While I think it would be nice to chat in realtime with posters on the site, my experience on other online forums is that chat threads are not archived. The fact that these threads are archived makes it easy to reference something that came up earlier, and who knows what pearls of wisdom would be lost tp the ages if they were voiced in a chat and then not archived for all to see.

At the same time, I agree with Dart that it would be nice to be able to contact other posters via email without us having to post our email addys publicly - not that I personally mind sharing such information, I just don'y want to take up threadspace trying to initiate side dialogue with other posters. On another online community I frequent, we can click on a poster's name and then get a forms page to send email to that poster via the forum's server. It's a blind email so you don't actually know the address of the person you send to unless that person decides to respond to you and provide the information to you on their own. I know I would find this enhancement useful.

Thanks.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

On the Fence

Post by l48shark »

I'm not sure about this. On the one hand, I think it would be cool to chat with you guys that I swap posts with. But on the other hand, I am almost positive that at best 5% of the chatting would actually be about beer or brewing so you might as well go to any existing chat site on the Net.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

i would like a gallery

Post by stumpwater »

The chat idea is good but the archived threads are too valuable. I have searched back on a number of topics and found a wealth of info that answered most of my questions immediately. (Mesa been at this a long time). What I would most like is a video gallery of other peeps equipment. Freon sent me some great photos of his wort chiller, but I would die to see how some of you guys are brewing compared to me. Also, anyone with groovy labels and such could show them off. Or I could take some snaps of my little hop plants to show off, or....well you all get the idea.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Label Gallery

Post by l48shark »

I would also like to see a way to post label images. I get creative with mine and would like to see the creations of others.

Cheers,
Ford
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Might be a good idea.

Post by jeff »

The only problem is that this subject is quite touchy. Although the email address of the recipient is hidden, some get quite upset when they receive an email that they didn't ask for. I have to be really careful what I allow users of the forum to do out of respect for everyones