Public beta anyone?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Public beta anyone?

Post by jeff »

It
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

BredMakr says TRY THIS!!!

Post by bredmakr »

I've tried these new tools already and they are COOL. Many more options and flexibility in design of recipes. I would encourage everyone to give them a try and provide feedback. They can only get better with input from more brewers.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No email option yet?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I like the new version of teh calculator, Jeff. If I remember correctly from a thread a few weeks back, this calculator conforms to the newest AHA style guidelines, right?

I couldn't find the "email recipe" option when I gave it a test drive. Is this feature buried somewhere, or awaiting inclusion for until the official release?

Well done, Guys.
Jim
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I didn

Post by jeff »

I added the
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

BJCP style definitions

Post by jeff »

The new tools have been adapted to the style definitions specified by the BJCP. This has resulted in an addition of some 20 additional styles, and much more detailed information regarding the characteristics of each style. It seemed that the guidelines provided by the BJCP had gained greater acceptance for both home and professional brewers alike so we thought moving to this specification would be the best move.
Regarding the email, I had not decided whether to include it or not. You really like that feature?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Calculator author

Post by jayhawk »

I just put a recipe through the calculator and didn't see a place to add my name as author. Did I miss something.

I like the addition of "Amber Ale" as a style. Ambers are truly dear to my heart.

Chris
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Absolutely!

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Jeff, the ability to email my recipes to myself is one of my favorite components of the current recipe calculator. Instead of transcribing all of the info into a brew log by hand or wasting time and ink printing graphical web pages, I can self-email the recipes, print them out and put them right into a brew log binder. I assumed most users operated this way but I may be mistaken.

On the other hand, it may just be that since I haven't coughed up for the Gold service yet I don't have a private online archive of calculated recipes. I'm asking the Missus (or Santa) for a Gold subscription for Christmas, but I still like the email results feature.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Good tools folks. Thanks!

Post by stumpwater »

Really enjoyed using the tools, but I agree with Gravity about the email yourself thing, and jayhawk about the author. I use the author name option when searching recipes. I would really miss it. Even though I email myself the recipe, I could get by without doing so. Thanks again for the new tools. They are great.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Author is handled a little differently now.

Post by jeff »

When you add a recipe to the library, your screen name such as the one you use here in the forum is inserted along with the recipe. If you don
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Searching by screen name

Post by jayhawk »

I second stumpy. I keep tabs on my recipes by searching "jayhawk". All of the recipes I have created here pop right up. The ability to do this is a real plus of the recipe archive.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Search by author

Post by jeff »

In reality, when you do a search by author, the search engine is searching for recipes that have the same user id. This id is stored with every recipe at this site so even if someone doesn
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

You

Post by jeff »

I added the e-mail results option today, and it seems to be working pretty well. The official release is very close, probably within a week.