EBC/Lovibond conversion

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

fivemilepoint

EBC/Lovibond conversion

Post by fivemilepoint »

I was entering the malt analyses for some European malt I recently purchased and noticed that the numbers for EBC and Lovibond were not making sense. It seems that European malt vendors are not moving to the new EBC calculation used in BeerToolsPro and continue to use the older method for EBC color calculation.

I figured this out when I dug out ProMash and see that they can use either EBC formula to calculate EBC and comment back in 2000 that no one was moving to the new standard. Seven years later that still seems to be the case so perhaps it would be wise to consider offering the older EBC calculation for those of us with European malt analyses.

Cheers
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: EBC/Lovibond conversion

Post by wottaguy »

Hello fivemilepoint,

I have not been so attuned to the color calculations currently being used in BTP but I do know that it has been a subject to great interest in this community.

Some discussion has taken place about the different calculations concerning color and some ideas have been suggested.

If you would, could you please post the calculations that you elude to in your post and perhaps the software guy(s) would be inclined to include this calculation in future versions of BTP.

Thank you for your observation and post as it is from these kinds of posts that will make BTP the leading homebrewing software on the planet (if not the universe)!

Thanks again!

Ron S (_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
fivemilepoint

Re: EBC/Lovibond conversion

Post by fivemilepoint »

I am not at all familiar with the equations for converting between EBC and Lovibond but searching around I did find an old Greg Noonan article:

http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html

which details the older conversion method.

Best regards.

Rick