Slower response times

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Slower response times

Post by jayhawk »

I think the new forum format is causing some messages to be lost and not repsonded to. The reason this may be happening is because the main forum index only highlights the most recent post, which is not necessarily the most important thing for users to know about. With the classic format, the last couple weeks of posts could be seen with ease, and new threads could be easily identified. If a newbie had a problem it was answered pretty promptly most of the time, and new users were identified and welcomed to the site in a timely manner.

Now, I have found that I simply do not have the patience or time to scan through every category whenever I want to check the forum for new threads. In short, the new threads are more important than new posts, and we should be highlighting new threads more than new posts.

The reason I bring this up is b/c today I noticed Mesa had put up a few new posts, and one was in response to a newbie questiion from "headwarpage". The thing is that the original post was dated Oct 15, which is a long time to wait for a reply. I think what happened is that this post quickly got booted out of the new post highlight box on the main index page and was forgotten about. (Thanks to Mesa for digging it up and answering). The problem with this is that the forum should really key in on beginners and welcome them to the site. If their posts go unanswered, they may feel snubbed or like they asked a stupid question, and they then may develop a poor opinion of Beertools.

I have a suggestion to remedy this:

1) Add a "Number of New Threads Started In Past Seven Days" box on the main page for every category on the forum. That way we can quickly see if a new thread has been started, rather than simply seeing which thread has the most recent post. This way we won't have to open up each category to see if new threads have started. Each new thread started in the last seven days should also have a little icon attached to it so that users know it is one of the new ones and can respond to it more promptly.

Feedback on my suggestion anyone?