Black is Black?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Black is Black?

Post by Fraoch »

I notice on the recipe calculator that it lists black patent,black roast and roasted. I know roasted is an unmalted grain but whats the difference with the other two? Also, is it possible to do a protein rest in an oven? This sure would help as i have limited space in my picnic cooler and cant add lots of hot water.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Some are different only in name

Post by jeff »

The ingredient list on the Recipe Calculator includes some ingredients that may be very similar if not exactly the same. The reason for this is that some people like to call an ingredient one thing while others call it another. One thing to note, though, is that Roasted Barley is not the same as Black Roast.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Response to the mash part...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yes.. you can do your rest in the oven, but measure the temperature with a GOOD thermometer prior to trying this. Rarely do the knob's numbers match the actual temperature. If you try this, make sure to cover the mash or it may overheat when the top element turns on. You want to bring the mash to temp then place it into the oven for the rest duration. As an aside... I used to do single infusion mashes completely in the oven. My oven has a digital temperature readout on it, so this was easy. The beers always worked out fine.

Eric Watson